Fluco Beat Wins 2nd International Award

For the second year, the FCHS Journalism team is the recipient of an International Second Place Award for the Fluco Beat student news site. This award was given by Quill and Scroll, an international high school journalism honor society that recognizes achievements in scholastic journalism. Overseen by the 2015-16 editors Patrick Dieter and Lauren Kirby, the 2016-16 website was ranked among the top 60 student-run sites worldwide, an impressive feat for a site that is only three years old. After switching in 2013 from a print publication to an online platform, the Fluco Beat has quickly made its mark online.

The site is under the direction of Adviser Elizabeth Pellicane, who serves a vital part of the operation. She assigns stories, edits them, and is involved with the design and overall layout of the site. The 2016 editorial staff include Editor Abigail Searcy and Assistant Editors Hannah Farruggio and Renee Milligan. The editors have a lot on their plates as they oversee the work of all other FCHS Journalism students; they are in charge of organizing and writing articles, as well as posting breaking news and upcoming events.

“The atmosphere in Journalism is different than other classes. It is more laid back and you have control over all of your assignments. It allows you to be creative and I really enjoy it,” said Assistant Editor Hannah Farruggio. The nature of the class is generally a key to students’ productivity and success. In more of a workplace environment where students learn to take initiative and work for what they want to accomplish. Perhaps due to this mindset, the Fluco Beat website is the recipient of this award for the second year in a row. The Fluco Beat also won first place in VHSL’s Student News Site contest. With a committed team, there is nothing but success awaiting Fluco Journalism.