The Fluco Beat

• February 20FCHS will be offering the ASVAB test to interested sophomores, juniors, and seniors. For details, please email [email protected]
  • February 20The FCHS Music Department is hosting a "Night at the Movies" Concert at 6pm on Thurs. Feb. 22. Tickets are $5. See Ms. Harkrader in room 1517 for details.
  • February 9The FLUCO Club/Meals on Wheels food drive ends Feb. 21. Bring in food to your first block teacher.
  • January 20Juniors and seniors taking the SAT in March should check their email for information and a calendar invite from Ms. Blevins. Email [email protected] with questions.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Ellie Sam
Junior Kaylee Beirne with the Lumberjack Friday ax after winning the syrup chugging contest.

Lumberjack Day With a Twist

Lumberjack Friday, with its annual sweet syrup showdown, had a twist this year, taking place on a Thursday. If you’re unfamiliar with the Fluco tradition, Lumberjack Friday is a tradition that gives juniors and seniors the chance to go out and show some school spirit while enjoying a memorable experience.

This eagerly-anticipated, but not school-sanctioned, tradition is held at the IHOP in Zion Crossroads around 6 AM. Students eat pancakes and then retreat to the parking lot for a syrup chugging contest. The winner is named “Head Lumberjack” for the next year, at which time the winner is expected to hand off the ax to the next year’s winner.

Junior Kaylee Beirne won this year’s event which was held on Jan. 25 after snow postponed the original date of Friday, Jan. 19.

“I competed pretty last-minute, only doing it because my friends were as well. I was pretty nervous leading up to it, but the chugging itself wasn’t that bad. Afterwards I didn’t feel too sick, but puked when I got home. It was definitely a memorable experience. Future advice I would give would be to do it for fun,” said Beirne.

Others who have attended the event in the past note that if you are participating in the syrup contest, bringing old clothes (plus a change of clothes) is a must because the syrup can be quite messy.

The majority of Lumberjack Friday attendees don’t actually participate in the contest, but just come along to spend time with friends, and show some spirit by wearing flannel and cheering on the participants.

“My favorite part of Lumberjack is the flannels because it’s cool seeing everyone wearing similar things,” said junior Brian Bauer.

While the event is largely unknown to eighth graders, upperclassmen often consider it a day of celebration and spirit. Having taken place for the past 15 years, Lumberjack day has not always been a welcome one at IHOP, which isn’t always able to staff up to handle dozens of flannel-clad teens early in the morning.

“The breakfast was good, but IHOP was short-staffed, making service slow,” observed junior Brian Bauer about this year’s event.

So while it is definitely not school-sanctioned, Lumberjack Friday continues to be one of the winter’s most popular events for FCHS students.

“I think it’s good for students to have things that create community outside of school as long as they act responsibly off campus,” said FCHS teacher Angela Mendoza.