The Fluco Beat

• April 24A paper recycling project is occurring. Please place any old and unused papers and notes in the box in the cafeteria until April 29.
  • April 23700 students showed up to the Suicide Prevention Walk on April 19. All profits benefited the ConnerStrong Foundation.
  • April 9Four members of the debate team qualified for States at their Super Regional tournament on April 6. States will occur April 26 and 27 at JMU.
  • April 9Prom tickets are $20 and are on sale before school and during lunches.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Cadence Goodnight
Assistant Principal Chad White is known at FCHS for his shoe style. White says he owns over 120 pairs of shoes. Photo courtesy of Cadence Goodnight.

Are Clothes Really Priceless?

Fashion as a whole plays a large role in students’ lives. Whether you are in school or at home, the constant march of what’s in and what’s out never ends. Whether it’s keeping up with seasonal fashions or trying to update your look, finding the perfect “fit” can be a challenge.

Some students prefer the “just jumped out of bed in PJs look,” while others prefer to have a “signature” look, something that people come to associate with them. Some of the more popular looks around FCHS this year include the following: the “southern” style with cowboy boots and camo jackets; the edgy and/or moody style, with neutral colors, zip-up jackets, and baggy pants; and the preppy, athletic style with classic tees, shorts, crewnecks, and jeans.

Then there’s the issue of how to pay for all these changing styles, particularly with inflation (the rising cost of items) which skyrocketed in 2021 to 7%. To some, having the latest look is worth it at any price, while others have their limits.

“Personally, the most I’ve spent on an outfit was around $114…[I got my recent Hoco outfit, a button down shirt and pants] from Banana Republic,” said junior Daniel Firewicz. “The most I would spend on regular day-to-day clothes would probably be around $40-$60,” he added.

For some, comfort and durability is all they care about, while others insist on specific brands for their looks, and those brands often come with a higher price tag. For example, popular brands like American Eagle, Nike, Puma, New Balance, and Eddie Bauer all charge hundreds of dollars for a lot of their apparel items. Nike, a common favorite among FCHS students, charges upwards of $200 for a single pair of shoes. Still, it’s a price that many are willing to pay.

Often, you will see students walking around the halls with the newest shoes. Look up the price online and you might get sticker shock, with some pairs, like the Y-3 ITOGO made by Adidas, costing up to $600. Are the higher price tags worth it? It really depends on the individual.

“I’ve spent the most money on my Birkenstocks. They were $110 and they definitely aren’t worth that,” said sophomore Danielle Scott, “They’re comfortable and easy to put on, but for $110? Not worth it,” she added.

Some students are so into shoe collecting that they will shell out the big bucks to purchase extremely expensive shoes, but then never wear them. They stay in their box or sit in a display case to show them off to friends. If they do choose to actually wear them, they tend to be protective of their shoes. Should those shoes get dirty or creased, the result can lead to arguments, or even fights at school.

“When I get my shoes dirty I usually use a bleach of some kind to clean them or else I won’t want to wear them. When they do get creased, I don’t think that means they’re ruined or anything, but I definitely need to make sure they look brand new again before wearing them,” said sophomore Maya Hernandez.

So does that mean that you’re stuck spending a lot of money to keep up your looks? Not necessarily. Thrifting is a popular way of finding name-brand clothing on the cheap. Many students enjoy thrifting and are able to accomplish the look they want without spending an arm and a leg. For example, junior Eden Becerra enjoys thrifting at the local Goodwill for all of her stylish clothing.

“You can find unique vintage pieces that other people are not likely to have,” she said.

Ultimately, while the variations in style reveal the diverse atmosphere at FCHS, ultimately, the amount of money a student spends on clothing is a personal choice. So when it comes down to it, the best advice may be this: You be you.