The Fluco Beat

• April 24A paper recycling project is occurring. Please place any old and unused papers and notes in the box in the cafeteria until April 29.
  • April 23700 students showed up to the Suicide Prevention Walk on April 19. All profits benefited the ConnerStrong Foundation.
  • April 9Four members of the debate team qualified for States at their Super Regional tournament on April 6. States will occur April 26 and 27 at JMU.
  • April 9Prom tickets are $20 and are on sale before school and during lunches.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Photo Courtesy of Beck Martin
Pictured: Tomas Cruz Vega

Preparing for Life After High School

As the testing and school application seasons get closer and closer, many students at FCHS have begun thinking deeper about what they want in life.

With an ocean of jobs and careers, there comes a sense of freedom. Being able to make your own decisions and become self-sufficient can be an amazing feeling for a lot of young adults. But along with this, many people are frightened about life after high school. Many feel directionless or nervous about changes in their lives. With almost infinite possibilities, the pressure to make a decision on what you want to do for the rest of your adult life can be exhausting.

“I am very nervous about getting into college. I decided on my dream school in middle school and have only planned to attend that one. It is also the only school I have applied to. So now I am just playing a waiting game to see if I get in, because if I don’t, I haven’t made any back up plans, which probably wasn’t a good idea,” said senior Jamie Rodriguez.

There are a few options for those who want to receive higher education beyond high school. One option is trade schools that can prepare you for a specialized job in fields like healthcare, electrical, culinary, and carpentry. In Virginia alone there are over 100 different trade schools to choose from, including the Virginia Technical Institute and the Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center (CATEC). Even some four-year universities, such as Virginia Tech, offer CTE programs alongside their other courses.

Another option is to go to a community college or a university. Community colleges, including Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC), offer two-year associate’s degrees on varying subjects. While some think attending a community college is a “lesser” choice, they are one way to save significant money, and there are famous people, such as Steve Jobs and Tom Hanks, who attended community college. Many students begin their higher education at a community college, then transfer to a four-year college.

Four-year colleges and universities offer good options for students looking for a bachelors, masters, or doctoral degree. Their admission process is a little tougher and their acceptance rates can be low. But they also offer more specialized courses. The National College Board website is a good place to start for finding information on different colleges, as well as resources for applying, choosing your career path, or receiving scholarships.

Going into the military is also a viable way to make your entry into adult life. The Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy and the Space Force make up the main branches that you may enlist in depending on what criteria you meet. There are numerous combat and non-combat positions available. For more information on the Armed Forces, go to the Department of Defense.

Finally, as you debate your options, remember to protect your mental health during this time of change and self- discovery. You don’t have to face your future alone, and there are people within the school and community who want to be there for you.

If you have questions about planning for your future education or career, contact FCHS College Adviser David Siddeley at [email protected]. You can schedule an appointment with him by going to this link: https://calendly.com/dsiddeley.