The Student News Site of Fluvanna County High School

The Fluco Beat

  • April 9Four members of the debate team qualified for States at their Super Regional tournament on April 6. States will occur April 26 and 27 at JMU.
  • April 9Prom guest forms are available in the front office. Guests who do not attend FCHS must be approved by Mrs. Bruce. Tickets go on sale next week.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.
  • April 8SOL retests will take place April 24 at 8:40 am in room 3110. Contact Ms. Blevins ([email protected]) to sign up.
  • March 26The FCHS Speech team won the State Championship on March 23 at Dominion High School. Five students placed first, two placed second, and one placed third.
The Student News Site of Fluvanna County High School

The Fluco Beat

The Student News Site of Fluvanna County High School

The Fluco Beat

Navigate Left
Navigate Right
  • The damage done to the outlet that was caused by the frayed cord. Photo courtesy of FCHS administration.

  • The damage to the block of the cord. Photo courtesy of FCHS administration

Navigate Left
Navigate Right

Is Your Power Cord a Danger?

Unexpected incidents can occur any day, anywhere, at any moment. People often assume that these incidents are going to happen with dangerous objects or in fast-paced situations, such as while driving. Some individuals might never imagine that the power cord in their backpack could pose a threat.

Power cords such as phone charging cords, laptop charging cords, and extension cords, can result in surprisingly dangerous situations. These may include electrical shocks, fire, and even property damage. Knowing if your power cord is a potential danger may make it easier to recognize the risks.

Recently, this unfamiliar danger made its way to FCHS. A student was charging their phone during school hours and when they went to unplug their iPhone charger, the charger shot out a spark. This spark caused both the outlet and the charger to become damaged and fried. The student was also electrocuted–although in a minor way–and slightly burnt, as well as experienced tingling sensations in the hand. The student was okay in the end, but it was a warning to the entire class. After this experience happened it was conveyed to teachers to share this incident with the entire student body.

The good news is that the student’s injuries were minor, and the damage to the school was minimal, but it could have been worse.

“Anything involving electricity being misused is a huge issue. This is the first time this has ever happened and we want to ensure this doesn’t happen to anyone else in the future,” said FCHS secretary Victoria Harris.

The incident reminded students and staff of a frequently-forgotten FCHS rule noted in the FCHS Student Handbook, namely, that personal devices must be charged at home, not at school. In fact, it is prohibited for the students to charge their personal devices on school grounds.

“It’s always been a rule to not charge your cellphones in class. You are only allowed to charge your chromebooks,” stated Harris.

Generally speaking, it’s important to know how to handle a situation you may not always anticipate. Power cord malfunctions are one of those. Power cords can easily become frayed, damaged, or otherwise unusable. A frayed cord has the inside wire exposed through its insulation or is a partially-severed cord. It is important to pay attention to this in your power cords. This hazard can occur in your home or at school.

So what can you do to reduce your risks? Be sure to check your wires frequently to make sure they are working properly. Notice when your cords are projecting odd scents like burning metal, plastic, rubber, or other unfamiliar smells. It’s also important to pay attention to if any sparking is occurring, and if the outlet appears to be hot to the touch. Also, make sure your cord is not making any buzzing noise.

In situations like these, safety is the best solution. If you are experiencing any of these signs the first thing to do is dispose of the cord. You may not want to go and purchase another one, but in the long run it will cost a lot less than having your house burn down.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All The Fluco Beat Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *