SGAs+Diversity+Tree+in+the+main+stairwell.+Photo+courtesy+of+Kessler+Potter.+
Kessler Potter
SGA’s Diversity Tree in the main stairwell. Photo courtesy of Kessler Potter.

SGA’s Diversity Tree Celebrates Differences

High school is notorious for being a place and time where people often feel like they don’t fit in. It is easy to feel out of place, even in a school of about a thousand students. However, FCHS’s Student Government Association wanted all students to show that even though all students may come from different ethnic backgrounds, have a different sexuality, or practice different religions, everyone is welcome at FCHS. To do this, they painted a mural in the main stairwell connecting the third floor to the fourth floor. The mural symbolizes unity and equality between everyone in the school.

“When you walk past the tree, you may notice the leaves floating on the side, which are filled by different countries all around the world. The words in the tree demonstrate to the leaves that are floating that we are all one, we are all the same,” said SGA member Juan “Jr.” Cazares.

For example, the leaves that are fluttering on the side are exactly the same size and shape as the leaves on the tree. However, those leaves are moving to a different path. The different paths symbolize the different backgrounds and experiences everyone has, we all still unite together.

“Whenever you walk past the tree, remember that no matter who you are as a person, you are not less than another person. We all matter,” added Cazares.

The mural can be seen in the main stairwell on the landing between the third and fourth floors.