A+group+of+FBLA+students+show+off+their+Their+Fight+is+Our+Fight+tees+at+the+Oct.+25+Breast+Cancer+Walk+on+the+track.+Photo+coutesy+of+Reece+Matula.+
Reece Matula
A group of FBLA students show off their “Their Fight is Our Fight” tees at the Oct. 25 Breast Cancer Walk on the track. Photo coutesy of Reece Matula.

Students Dress In Pink for Breast Cancer

The annual Breast Cancer Walk on Oct. 25 raised the most money ever for the event, raising nearly $1,800 for breast cancer research. Students were able to attend if they paid $3 for a ticket, which enabled them to spend all of 4th block that day at the track. All of the money made was split and donated to Project ASK at Virginia Commonwealth University and the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation in Richmond.

Additional funds were raised by selling baked goods and lemonade, as well as face painting, beaded bracelets, and hair extensions. Students were also able to enjoy DJ-provided music and games.

Overall, the event appeared to be a successful way to raise money and awareness of breast cancer while keeping students engaged. “I went because I wanted to support what they were doing. It was definitely worth my money. My favorite part was the lemonade. It was really good,” said sophomore LaNiyah Barbour.

One of the people who made the event possible was teacher and Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) sponsor Christine Kreitzman. “I think the day was a fantastic success. We raised more money than we ever have, the weather was beautiful, our kids were exceptionally behaved, and we made Mrs. Parrish’s family proud,” she said, referring to former Fluco teacher Harriet Parrish, who passed away from breast cancer.

Kreitzman, who sponsors the club along with teachers Tonya Vowels and Anne Charles, added, “The FBLA kids were prepared and worked very hard to have everything work out and it did. We are really proud of them.“

Senior Joshua Harris regretted not attending the walk. “I didn’t get to go because I had some personal work I needed to work on in order to make money, and what better day to work on stuff then in the middle of the week?” He added, “There’s a part of me that wishes I went, because since it’s my senior year I won’t have a chance to do it ever again. Plus, it was a nice day out and would’ve been perfect for a walk with friends.”