One+of+the+%2410+clear+Fluco+bags+being+sold+at+the+FCHS+front+office+and+at+the+entrance+of+all+ticketed+events.+
Sophia Brown
One of the $10 clear Fluco bags being sold at the FCHS front office and at the entrance of all ticketed events.

See-Through Style: Navigating the New Clear Bag Policy

On Nov. 27, Fluvanna County Public Schools Superintendent Pete Gretz informed staff, students, and parents that the district would be enforcing a clear bag policy beginning Dec. 1 at all ticketed events. Gretz noted that this new policy was occurring because the district’s “commitment to maximizing safety continues to be our top priority.”

This policy is being implemented only at ticketed events–including at the stadium, gymnasium, auditorium, and cafeteria–at Fluvanna County Middle School and the high school. Event staff and school administration will supervise and make sure that this new policy is enforced.

Gretz noted that the only exception to this clear bag policy is if the bag is specific to medical or childcare needs. He added that there will be clear bags available to attendees upon request for free, but that you can also purchase clear bags with the Fluco logo for $10 at the entrance of all events, as well as at the schools.

Bags that will no longer be permitted at ticketed events include backpacks, camera bags, cinch bags or sacks, fanny packs, coolers, and computer bags. Students who are participating in ticketed events must take sports equipment bags, as well as backpacks, into the locker room or another designated space during the event.

Gretz noted that the district appreciates attendees’ cooperation with this new procedure. “It is designed to keep our students, staff, families, and community as safe as possible,” he said.

How do the staff and students feel about this new policy?

“Since I’m a student-athlete, it’s extremely hard to navigate the clear bag policy because we aren’t able to have our bags in the gym where we have to cheer. I feel like the policy should have an exception for student-athletes to make it easier on them,” noted sophomore cheerleader Sophia Branch.

However, FCHS faculty member Tonya Vowels, who said she frequently attends FCHS sporting events, said, “[The policy] is probably appropriate and it’s what other schools are doing. I feel you can never be too careful. It’s unfortunate that we have to do things like this, but I think the times call for it.”