• April 29The Fluvanna Health Clinic will be offering sports physicals for the 2024-25 school year on May 8 from 5pm to 7pm in the Auxiliary Gym. The cost is $50 and students must have parental consent.

Sophia Pace
Picture taken at FCHS’s 2023 Homecoming Dance. Photo courtesy of Sophia Pace.

Winter Formal Remains a Frozen Possibility

For awhile, the weather forecast at FCHS appeared to be “snowy with a chance of a winter formal.” However, it now looks like that forecast won’t come to pass.

During the week of Oct. 16-20, class meetings were held in the Auditorium with Principal Margo Bruce. While the main goal was to update students on new policies regarding drugs, vaping, and consequences for fights, one subject that also arose was the possibility of having a winter formal. It is an idea that has been raised occasionally over the years but never seems to get off the ground.

In a recent poll on the @FlucoJournalism Instagram page, students were asked if they had an interest in attending a winter formal hosted at FCHS. Approximately 88% of respondents said they would be interested.

One of those in favor of the idea is sophomore Natalie Gomez. “I think we should have a winter formal for the underclassmen who can’t go to Prom. Also, it’s more time to socialize with friends during school events,” she said.

Others agree with this sentiment that a new dance should be added to the lineup of Homecoming, an 8th grade dance, and Prom. “Yes [there should be a winter formal], because it’s winter time and you want to be a snow ice princess, and also because we hardly have any school dances,” said sophomore Ryleigh Money.

Some say they like the idea, but aren’t sure it would go over well. “It would be fun to have one, but I don’t think enough people would go and I don’t think that there will be enough time for people to find dresses and everything,” said junior Savannah Morris.

Student Government Association (SGA) Adviser David Small said that adding a winter formal “would be a fun activity for students to attend, especially in the winter when there’s not as much going on.” However, he added that “FCHS has tried to host winter formals in the past, but there has never been enough participants, so they have had to cancel.”

This appears to be the main reason that the idea was originally dropped for the 2024 school year. Few students outside of SGA realize what it takes to host a dance. “With Homecoming, we have multiple groups doing different parts. Whether it’s the parade, decorations, tickets, etc. We have a budget on decorations and getting everything approved by Mrs. Bruce. It’s a long process,” said junior Emmalyn Whyte.

However, FCHS will be hosting a winter formal on Feb 3, 2024, at 7 pm (Feb 10 is the snow date) in the school cafeteria. The dance is open to all juniors and seniors in good standing, underclassmen can attend by invitation only. “Underclassmen may be invited to attend but the upperclassman who is taking MUST be present and already have purchased their ticket at [the] time of purchase,” said SGA President Jamie Rodriguez. “You will not be able to bring a date who does not attend FCHS or is younger than the 9th grade,” she added.

Tickets will be $10 and will be sold during lunches on the week of the dance. The attire is semi-formal, school dress code still applies. “Semi-formal dance attire typically consists of short dresses and collared shirts. Suits and dress shoes are not required,” said Rodriguez.

So while years past have formed a list of when a winter formal never quite takes off, this year, students may look forward to a new tradition.