Photo courtesy of Clarice93
A still from the season six introduction of “Supernatural.” [Supernatural – Season 6] by Clarice93 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 DEED Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Will “Supernatural” Rise From the Dead?

The ghost-hunting and demon-slaying brothers might be making a return. The CW Network’s “Supernatural” has been a long-time fan favorite TV show, gathering a large fandom during the show’s 15-season run. Now, three years after the 2020 finale, there are rumors of an additional season.

“Supernatural” was created and written in 2005 by Eric Kripke and Robert Singer. The series follows brothers Sam and Dean Winchester (played by Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles) who hunt supernatural creatures for a living. After their mother passed away when they were kids, their dad, John Winchester, was left to raise them on his own. He raised and trained them to be “soldiers” who track mysterious and demonic creatures. As the brothers go along with their lives and hunt the things that go bump in the night, they discover family and relationship-threatening secrets that burden them. With the monsters they hunt seemingly getting more dangerous and smarter, and the friends they once trusted betraying them, Sam and Dean must rely on each other in order to survive.

This show was one of the most attention-grabbing television shows in the early 2000s. “Supernatural” was a different, diverse show that contrasted popular shows such as “Gilmore Girls,” “Friends,” and “The Office.” At the time, there weren’t a variety of shows about hunting monsters and killing demons. It was new and eye-catching and the protective, loving dynamic between the brothers tugged at people’s hearts. Over the seasons, Sam and Dean’s relationship had many ups and downs, but it remained strangely relatable. Viewers watch them grow and evolve just as brothers would in real life, and the mommy and daddy issues they both share are incredibly relatable. Sam and Dean’s relationship is what I and many other fans believe kept the show running.

Sam and Dean obviously didn’t do it alone. While “Supernatural” fans are loyal to the Impala-riding hunters, fans were drawn deeply to the show’s third lead beside the brothers: Castiel, an angel of the Lord, who is played by Misha Collins and first appears in season four. Fans became engrossed with the angel after his first appearance. Not only was he the one to bring Dean back to life and pull him from Hell, but he built a relationship with the brothers and learned about humanity. The more he learned, the more human-like he became in the show. He developed feelings and thoughts, learned to understand humans’ strange actions and reasonings, and even formed a romantic-like relationship with Dean. Other characters joined the show, but these three really sealed the deal.

Recently, rumors of a 16th season have blossomed, but fans are skeptical if that’s a good idea or not. Supernatural ended in 2020 with 15 seasons in total. [Spoiler alert; The show concludes with Dean dying during a simple routine vampire nest cleanout and Sam dying of old age.] So with both brothers gone, why bring the show back, especially when the show makes it very clear that the brothers can’t go even a day without each other?

So, while a 16th season may be in the works, is it really worth it? To me it seems a bit ridiculous and unnecessary. I believe it would ruin the whole point of the Season 15 finale and potentially ruin some of the original plot. I’m not the only fan who takes this stance.

“I think if they made another season it would ruin the ending of Sam and Dean being reunited in heaven after Sam passes of old age. It’d basically mean nothing at that point,” said FCHS sophomore Haley Starkey.

Still, not all fans agree. “It wouldn’t be a horrible idea. They would just have to find a way for it to make sense and bring back both Sam and Dean,” said sophomore Mya Inge.

So while I personally think a 16th season would be a total flop, if they do end up doing another season, I can only hope they do it well and give us both brothers and not just one (even though I’m a Dean girly myself). Both brothers are what make the show, so there’s no “Supernatural” without them. Hopefully, if the rumor is true, they’ll the result will be worthy of the origihnal and make up for the sad and, honestly, horrible series finale.

View Comments (7)