• April 29The Fluvanna Health Clinic will be offering sports physicals for the 2024-25 school year on May 8 from 5pm to 7pm in the Auxiliary Gym. The cost is $50 and students must have parental consent.

Photo courtesy of IMDb.
Movie poster for A Quiet Place: Day One [Lupita Nyong’o in a Quiet Place: Day One 2024] by IMDb

Anticipating “A Quiet Place: Day One”

Horror movies fans are about to be on the edge of their seats once more with another “A Quiet Place” movie. The first two films combined made $750 million at the box office, so many fans are highly anticipating the latest entry into the series. Scheduled for a June 28 release date, “A Quiet Place: Day One” is a prequel to the previous first two films, and focuses on how the entire alien invasion ordeal began. but first, a quick recap of the first two original films.

The first “A Quiet Place” was released in 2018 starring John Krasinski (“The Office”) alongside his wife, actress Emily Blunt (“Oppenheimer”). The film takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting where Blunt’s and Krasinski’s characters, Lee and Eveyln Abbott, and their three children Regan (Millicent Simmons), Marcus (Noah Jupe), and Beau (Cade Woodward), struggle to survive in the world that’s been overrun by deadly aliens who hunt by sound. Survivors must live in silence and communicate by sign language to avoid getting killed by the creatures.

A suspenseful masterpiece, the film takes the viewer through the lengths the Abbott family must take to survive and protect each other, while also keeping the viewer on the edge of their seat in fear as death is a simple sound away. The atmosphere of the film is intense due to the film being mostly silent except for the occasional death scene of background characters or an accidental noise.

A review of the film by The Astromech noted, “’A Quiet Place’ transcends its horror-thriller confines by engaging with universal themes of fear and survival that resonate on a deeper, existential level.” The film transcends the horror-thriller genre by pursuing deeper themes of sacrifice and family love, something that not many horror films do. 

The sequel, “A Quiet Place II,” was released in 2021, and picks up from the ending of the first film. The Abbott family are still navigating their way through the treacherous and dangerous alien-infested world, all while trying their best to stay as silent as possible. The family ventures beyond the safety of their farmhouse after another family tragedy, presenting the impact of the alien threat on the greater world which has other survivors and new threats. Now the sole protector and provider of her children, Evelyn is trying to do her best as she faces new challenges, including keeping a newborn quiet in a world that demands silence. Their second born, Marcus, is severely traumatized by previous events, and struggles to face his fears and find his place in the plagued world, while his deaf sister Regan is exploring her ability to temporarily incapacitate the aliens through her hearing aid. The second film is just as thrilling and anxiety-inducing as the first, ending on a note that is both hopeful and ambiguous.

Both films are directed by Krasinski, though the prequel is expected to be directed by Michael Sarnoski. The prequel focuses on how the invasion of the creatures first happened, following a woman (played by Lupita Nyong’o, famously known for her role in “Black Panther”) who experiences the first horrific moments of the attack in New York.

The film will be a huge story change as we won’t be following the Abbott family, but will hopefully be just as thrilling.

Other actors starring in this movie are Joseph Quinn (“Stranger Things”), Alex Wolff (“Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle”), and Djimon Hounsou (“Guardians of the Galaxy”). In an interview in People Magazine, Quinn noted that the new film is “more of a [character] drama than anything.”

“A Quiet Place: Day One” will be out in theaters June 28, 2024.