The Fluco Beat

• April 24A paper recycling project is occurring. Please place any old and unused papers and notes in the box in the cafeteria until April 29.
  • April 23700 students showed up to the Suicide Prevention Walk on April 19. All profits benefited the ConnerStrong Foundation.
  • April 9Four members of the debate team qualified for States at their Super Regional tournament on April 6. States will occur April 26 and 27 at JMU.
  • April 9Prom tickets are $20 and are on sale before school and during lunches.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

• Photo courtesy of FCHS’s Graphic Arts Class. Music courtesy of FCHS’s Piano Lab class.

The Art of Collaboration

Artists can find a muse in anything. From a starry night to an enigmatic woman, artists are renowned for being able to turn anything into a piece of art. Musicians also take inspiration from everywhere. They have found inspiration in storms, planets, and even the destruction of cities. In December, Graphic Arts teacher Rosa Lee Fry and Piano Lab instructor Sara Harkrader collaborated on a project that took advantage of these tendencies.

Music created by Harkrader’s piano students was used by Fry’s graphics students to inspire digital artwork. Then, artwork created by the graphics students was used by the piano students to inspire their music. The music that accompanies each digital art piece was turned into a QR code that is available in digital form as well as in printouts located in the Fine Arts hallway (1600 hallway).