The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

FCHS+Science+teacher+Patrick+Tubman+in+his+science+classroom.+Photo+courtesy+of+Kessler+Potter.+
Kessler Potter
FCHS Science teacher Patrick Tubman in his science classroom. Photo courtesy of Kessler Potter.

Tubman’s Journey to Fluvanna

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, right? Yes, but not in the way many think. In fact, the mitochondria is just one of many organelles that make up cells. These cells, which both plants and animals have, are one of the building blocks for complex life. Cells, and the organelles within them, are just one of the main units taught by Patrick Tubman in his freshmen Biology class.

Tubman was born in Virginia Beach and went to Green Run High School before attending Randolph Macon College in Ashland, Virginia. In college, Tubman studied Biology and Chemistry. He was also on the swim team in both high school and college. After college, Tubman moved to Hawaii, where he owned and operated a small tour business. Then he moved back to Virginia where he became a teacher. Tubman taught middle school Life Science in Henrico before moving to Fluvanna, where he has taught for two years.

“I always liked science, and I studied Biology. After college, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do for a career, so I started substitute teaching at my old high school in Virginia Beach while I figured it out,” said Tubman. “While there, a Biology teacher was going to be out for the rest of the year, five months, so I took over her class as a sub. Teaching that class was tough, but I learned I really enjoyed teaching. I decided to go back to school, get my teaching certification, and become a teacher,” he added.

Tubman was not the only one in his family to move away from Virginia Beach. His parents, twin sister, and twin sister’s son and daughter live in Maine, while his older brother lives in New York and has two sons. His older sister lives in Connecticut with her son and daughter.

“I am not married and don’t have children, but I have a dog named Otto. He’s my best friend. He will be 13- years-old this year,” said Tubman.

In his spare time, Tubman operates a small farm at his house growing a variety of vegetables for a few local restaurants. He also has two bee hives for honey, and said he likes to hike, kayak, and paddleboard when he gets a chance.

“My favorite part of FCHS is the community. I enjoy getting to know students and watching their growth through their time at the high school. The students and staff here develop great relationships that last longer than their time in the classroom. I love when former students drop by to share something or just to say hello,” said Tubman.