FCHS%2C+librarian+Shannon+Taylor%2C+reads+as+she+works+at+her+desk+in+the+library.+Photo+courtesy+of+Jennifer+Wyant.+
Jennifer Wyant
FCHS, librarian Shannon Taylor, reads as she works at her desk in the library. Photo courtesy of Jennifer Wyant.

When it Comes to Reading, Taylor is an Open Book

The FCHS library contains two stories of books, but it is so much more. It offers a quiet place to study or catch up on missing school work, multiple cozy nooks to curl up with a book, and a variety of other activities including a 3D printer, chess and checkers, and puzzles.

At the center of this are two librarians: Ann Jennings and Shannon Taylor. While both women have a degree in School Librarianship from Longwood University, Taylor’s past gives her a unique perspective on librarianship.

Before Taylor was a librarian at FCHS she was a social studies teacher at FCHS. Taylor’s desire to become a librarian began all started when she took her social studies classes to the library for studying and research. From the moment she stepped in the library, Taylor knew she was where she wanted to be. From then on, she worked to be in the library for good.

Taylor is not a stranger to the FCHS community. She has worked at the high school for 25 years, first as a social studies teacher, then as a librarian. She became a teacher after graduating from James Madison University where she earned a degree in Social Studies with a minor in Education. She taught social studies teacher at FCHS for 13 years, but her passion flowed more towards a different subject: books.

Taylor’s love for books encouraged her to make her passion a reality, noting “I wanted to do something that would help others, something I believed in, and I believe in public education,” she said.

She applied to Longwood University, where she studied for three years before receiving her masters in Library Science. After graduating from Longwood, she relocated to the FCHS library 12 years ago. Taylor has been working in the high school library ever since.

“I am extremely passionate about my job. I want our library to be a place where students feel comfortable being themselves, that they come in and learn something new, and when they look for a book, they can find what they are looking for. A book can take them to new places, bring them closer to people, and hopefully, [be something] they can see themselves in too,” said Taylor.

When she was 24, Taylor moved from Albemarle County to Fluvanna to be closer to work. At first, she was apprehensive about the change.

“I was more unsure about it at first. I had always lived in town and there was not a lot out here, but then I knew I would never get to work on time if I didn’t live closer. Also, the principal at the time, Mr. Carter, said that Flucos were like a family. I had just recently left college, so for me, Fluvanna seemed like the best choice.”

While some might think that being a librarian just involves sitting at the check out desk all day, Taylor always has things to do. The library staff are always purchasing new books, and because of this they have to get rid of outdated books regularly. They are often looking for books that have not been checked out in a while, damaged books, and old books to remove. Taylor also finds herself reading lists, blogs, reviews, and much more to make sure the students are able to have the best books in the library. She and Jennings are also constantly checking student passes to make sure each student is where they need to be in the building.

Outside of the library, Taylor enjoys spending time with her family and friends, working on puzzles, crocheting, listening to music, and working on her house and yard. She is proud of her two sons, both of whom graduated from FCPS. Taylor also loves her chunky cat, goofy dog, and the puppy she has just adopted.

Not surprisingly, she spend a lot of time reading. She reads new stories daily, but her favorite is Jane Austen’s classic novel “Pride and Prejudice.”

“It is, for me, the ultimate love story, and I am a sucker for good love stories. I cry every time I read the part where she finally realizes she loves her Mr. Darcy,” said Taylor.