Mr+E
Kylie Phillips
Mr E

On the “Edge” of the Stage

Theatre teacher and Forensics Coach Craig Edgerton, or “Mr. E” as he is commonly known, has been teaching for 24 years, but he has been involved in theater for 40 years.

Edgerton went to Malone University, where he said he was very indecisive when it came to his major. He eventually decided on Journalism and Broadcasting, and added English to his degree as well.

“[My] official transcript says Comprehensive Communication, but basically, I know a little about everything, and not a lot about anything,” he said.

Before he was hired in Fluvanna, Edgerton said he worked in Human Resources. About his switch to theatre and teaching, Edgerton noted that he’d “always enjoyed the ‘theory’ behind the job” and liked “sitting around and talking or debating about books, film, art, ideas, and life.” He also enjoyed Greek philosophy, with one of his favorite books being Aristotle’s Rhetoric. So “teaching just seemed like a natural progression,” although he noted that he always pictured himself eventually teaching at a college level. “Life just didn’t allow that to happen,” he said.

Edgerton got into forensics because of his major. He was asked to coach a local high school speech team, and “the rest was history,” he said. He says what he enjoys most about coaching is “setting the wheels in place and seeing how far people will go.” His forensics team has come in first at States several different times over the last few years. However, he doesn’t like to speak about the wins, including last year’s victory at States. “Last year is last year, and it is a new year. So let’s focus on now,” he said.

As for theatre, Edgerton said he enjoys the process of putting productions together, especially putting together the sets. Under his guidance, Fluco Theatre has done many plays, incuding Peter and the StarCatcher, Clue, Shrek, and Willy Wonka. This spring he is producing Alice in Wonderland.

Outside of school, Edgerton has many hobbies, including listening to music and attending concerts. He loves to be outside riding a bike, hiking, or taking his dog for a walk. He has a two-year-old mini Newfoundland Doodle named Murphey.

“She has lots of energy, and keeps me busy,” he said.