• May 13All 12 Cosmetology students passed the VA Cosmetology Practical Examination May 9
  • May 9Students with artwork in the Art Show should see their teacher to pick up work. Items will only be available until May 22.
  • May 9Anyone that signed up for AP Government next year should stop by room #4502 soon to get summer work and information.
  • May 7Students using a school locker must clean them out by the end of the school year. Items left behind will be thrown out.

• Varsity lacrosse players Joe Jones and Carson Perry with their lacrosse sticks

Boys Lacrosse Strive for Their Goals

Imagine being a new player in ninth grade and having to play on varsity because there was no JV team. For many current sophomores on the boys lacrosse team, that was what they were faced with last year. In the 2023 season, the Fluvanna County Boys Lacrosse team had no JV, as there were not enough boys interested in playing.

The team last year went 5-10, although the 2024 captain, senior Conner Jeffries states that last year’s team was very solid, there were just many young players. Cole Weisenburger, another senior, has more hope for this year’s team, as he believes they are more disciplined, organized, and selfless.

Returning player senior Andrew Williams said, “This seasons a lot more competitive than last. This season we were first in the district and last year we were nowhere close to being where we are now.”

Now, the boys varsity lacrosse team has a better record than previous seasons, as they are 5-3 with half the season left. Senior Cole Weisenburg said they move the ball around more, focus on the basic skills, and work as a team rather than individually. They also gained three new coaches, having four all together, and they’ve changed the way they play. Practices are more strict and organized, which keeps the players accountable and disciplined. They’ve gained more chemistry and have guys who have stepped up and filled leadership roles which helped the team be as successful as they are today, thinks senior Conner Jefferies.

Jeffries said, “I’m going to miss the brotherhood this team has. Building a close knit team is an important part of being a team; plus the experiences and leadership role I’ve gained from these years playing is also going to be hard to leave.”

JV, on the other hand, has grown from no athletes trying out to around 22 athletes coming to the first day of try-outs. This year’s team is very young overall, but they still have very good chemistry on the field. The team has improved over the season and have battled in every game no matter the outcomes. The positive experience and team chemistry is obvious to players, both returning veterans and

“Playing this sport and on JV has been a great experience and we have grown as a team and family throughout the season,” said first year lacrosse player sophomore Jordan Lewis. “We have come together and really grew from having no team to a great team.”