The Fluco Beat

• April 24A paper recycling project is occurring. Please place any old and unused papers and notes in the box in the cafeteria until April 29.
  • April 23700 students showed up to the Suicide Prevention Walk on April 19. All profits benefited the ConnerStrong Foundation.
  • April 9Four members of the debate team qualified for States at their Super Regional tournament on April 6. States will occur April 26 and 27 at JMU.
  • April 9Prom tickets are $20 and are on sale before school and during lunches.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Sophomore+Jonathan+Gretz.+Photo+courtesy+of+Fluco+Journalism.+
Fluco Journalism
Sophomore Jonathan Gretz. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism.

Student Finds Motivation the Key to Versatility

An all-around athlete who started on the varsity soccer team as a freshman, sophomore Jonathan Gretz is an example of a versatile athlete–competing in cross-country, wrestling, and soccer–who hopes to take his abilities to the next level.

Gretz competed in Districts and Regionals for cross country this fall, running a 17:54 5k personal record for the 2022 season. Unable to compete throughout the majority of the cross-country season due to injury, Gretz is keen to take advantage of the current wrestling and upcoming soccer seasons. He placed 5th in Regionals for wrestling last year and earned the “Most-Improved Wrestler Award,” while also playing a key role on the 2022 FCHS soccer team.

“I am really looking forward to this soccer season. I’m expecting it to be tough and I’ll have to work for a spot on the starting roster, but I have great hopes for the team. We are looking really good. I hope to start on the wrestling team. I know it will be difficult and I’ll have to put in the work, but I hope for some good competition and to make it to States,” he said.

A key component of his interest in wrestling stems from his father, who helped persuade him to begin his wrestling career.

“My dad wrestled in high school and my mother’s family is a big wrestling family. In 8th grade, this really sparked an interest in wrestling, leading to me joining and really liking it,” he said.

Gretz focuses on staying highly motivated in all his sports. “I always want to get better and be the best I can be. Keeping the mindset that I can always be better really motivates me to push through and put in the work needed for me to improve and see success,” he said.

Gretz noted his ambitions for the future, with soccer being his priority sport, and wrestling being an alternative to that. “I would like to continue competing competitively in soccer after I graduate, and if that opportunity doesn’t arise I hope for a chance to wrestle at the college level. Competing in soccer at the college level is my main goal and I’m working hard to achieve that,” he said.

View Comments (2)