Fluvanna Sports Photography
Senior Chazz Barksdale-White pictured at a varsity basketball game during the 2022 season.

Conditioning is Key for Varsity Boys Basketball

A Preview of the New Varsity Basketball Team

If you’ve had a chance to see the Fluco varsity basketball team play this season, you may have noticed that they look a little different. Overall, the team is trending younger, having lost a number of seniors last year. According to senior and Point Guard Chazz Barksdale-White, they have also been changing how they are conditioning, putting a lot of time in the weight room this season, and focusing on lifting weights and running.

New conditioning drills include the Tip Drill where they throw a basketball off the backboard and go to rebound the ball, something which strengthens athletes’ legs. Another drill is pushing towels on the floor back and forth across the court so that they can build speed and agility.

“The way to improve the team is to work on their strength, to build team chemistry, and try to be the toughest team on the court,” said Varsity Head Coach Heath Bralley, who is assisted by Assistant Coach Jayvon Jackson. Bralley also mentioned his expectations for the team this season are “to be the best version of themselves and leave it all on the court.”

Barksdale-White said the team said one of the goals for the extra conditioning is to help them overcome their main team weakness, which is inexperience.

Sophomore and Shooting Guard Samuel Loving noted he is planning on doing his part on the team “by providing energy and setting up my teammates for the best available shot on the court.”

Thus far, they have lost to Buckingham 70-57 and to Turner Ashby 66-55, beating Buckingham 85-44.

“When the team figures out how to play together, we will do great this season,” said Loving.

Varsity will next play Monticello at home on Dec. 15.