Photo Courtesy of Fluvanna Sports Photography
Fluco field hockey team playing Monticello

Sticking to the Field: Fluco Field Hockey is in Full Swing

While most eyes seem to be on the football field, there’s another field that has a season in full swing. FCHS field hockey is back with some changes for both varsity and JV. Both coaches and players hope that these changes will help them make it to the post-season. 

Coaches Jenny Payne and Shannon Opie are in the unique position of coaching both the varsity and JV teams. Payne has been coaching field hockey for five years at Fluvanna, while Opie has been with the program for two. Both coaches are optimistic about this season.

We have a great group of veterans and newcomers on the team this season and hope to continue the growth of field hockey at Fluvanna. Field hockey is still new to many of our players, so we are learning and improving each day,” said Payne. “Last year we made it through the first round of Regionals and showed that we have progressed as a program. We hope to keep that progress going as we start the 2023 season,” she added.

This confidence comes with a new lineup. JV’s new goalie, freshman Alexis Wagner, is in her second year playing field hockey and her first year playing goalie. “I feel good. I’m scared of the games, but I think it’s chill,” said Wagner.

JV also has three eighth graders, three sophomores, a freshman, and a junior joining the ranks. 

Of course, how a season goes depends a lot on the opponents. The players were divided when asked who their toughest rival would be. “Definitely Western Albemarle,” said sophomore Megan Drumheller who has been playing for three years. “They have really good stick skills, have been practicing since they were really little, and are really fast.” 

Others have different opinions. “It’s probably going to be Monticello,” said freshman Mallory Esch. “They are more aggressive and pressure whoever has the ball,” she said. 

Although competition is an important part of the game, the players try to not lose track of why they are playing. “It’s really fun,” said Zoe Jeffries, an 8th grade rookie.

Other new players share this sentiment. “I think it’s pretty fun. It was hard at first, but I’ve gotten used to it,” says 8th grader Ann Kraft. 

Some expressed confidence for the season. “I think it’s gonna be pretty good and we’ll win a lot of games. We have the skill; we just need to learn how to use it,” said senior Bailey Marshall.

Junior Emmalyn Whyte shares this attitude. “I think [this season’s] going to be really good, seeing our attitude and scrimmages.” Both players expressed confidence that the team would make it to Regionals this season.

As for the coaches, they are making sure to focus on specific skills including passing, stick skills, and communication, all of which can help a team work together and make goals. In field hockey, it’s almost impossible to make a goal if you don’t pass to someone, while stick skills are important for getting around opponents on the field. Sometimes a player may not have an open pass because an opponent is blocking them, but they have many skills they can use to keep moving down the field. They can pop it over the opponent’s stick, drive it past them, or pull back and go around the other player.

These skills rely on another key skill: communication. Without communication, players  wouldn’t know where to pass and could possibly end up hitting the ball right to the opponent’s stick. When in the middle of a game, sometimes it can be stressful being the one with the ball. Being able to communicate with the team and pass the ball off to someone else can be very helpful when it comes to alleviating stressful situations on the field.

Field hockey games occur on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Advance tickets can be bought here

If you’re curious about field hockey and possibly playing next season, contact either Coach Payne at [email protected] or Coach Opie at [email protected].