The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Station manager and junior Camryn Ngov holds her hand up in the “Stand By” signal. When used in a broadcast context “Stand By” means something is about to air. It can be used to let crew and bystanders know to be quiet on set, that a particular graphic is about to appear on screen, or in this instance, letting the anchors know they will be on air shortly.

FCHS Students Place in VHSL Film Festival

David Small’s Television Production class is popular at FCHS among those who want to get experience in video production. The semester-long class teaches students how to work with the tools in a film-making studio, how to interview students, and how to film a variety of genres. The semester culminates in a nine-week project that allows students to create a film on a topic of interest to them as noted in this recent Fluco Beat article.

This year, Small chose four films to send to the Virginia High School League’s Film Festival. These films were four of one hundred films submitted from high schools across the Commonwealth. Forty-eight films were designated as Official Selections by VHSL. All four of the films from FCHS were chosen in their respective categories. The students’ films will be shown at a screening on June 1. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit this link. Below are links to the students’ videos.

半暝 MIDNIGHT: Stories from a Father to a Daughter – a documentary by junior Camryn Ngov

Virginia is for Racing Lovers – a documentary by senior Matt Gresham

Love – an experimental film by senior Morgan Drumheller

Why We Play – a Public Service Announcement (PSA) by seniors Lane Harris and Conner Jeffries