Mitchell Pace
Lila Kate Robinson, Alex Fuller, Reece Yowell, and Sophie Pace bite their medals after the State Championship meet on February 17, 2024. Photo courtesy of Mitchell Pace.

FCHS Swim and Dive Splash Their Way to Success

The Swim and Dive season just wrapped up. With the girls team finishing eighth, and the guys finishing 21st at the State Championship meet, it appears that this season was eventful. With an eventful, exciting season, however, there come many memorable moments.

“My favorite moment in the swim season was watching the Girls 400 Relay get their qualifying state time at one of our home meets. It was really fun cheering for them and watching them achieve their goal of going to states,” said girls diver and FCHS freshman Madelyn Grout.

Coach Mitchell Pace also added his favorite part of the season, “Senior Night is always special as we get to honor those who have typically been with us for a long time. And this year I got the honor of walking out with senior Gee Chittenden.”

Of course, no season is complete without its challenges. “One of the hardest meets I had was an away meet against Charlottesville High School. I had to swim in a new event I had never been in. I was nervous that I wouldn’t do well because I had never been in the event and I didn’t train enough for the event.” said Grout.

Members of the Swim and Dive team practiced in the evenings at the Fork Union Military Academy’s indoor pool. While observers may believe the only way to exceed in the pool is to be constantly pushing the swimmer, Pace disagrees. “Sometimes just a normal practice can be great. When everyone is present, it’s just a fun, camaraderie-filled atmosphere. Music playing, swimmers and divers working hard on their sets can be a good memory,” said Pace.

For the coaches, there were a few meets that stood out compared to the others. “And then States! Seeing the success of hard work and skill pay off at the highest level. Spending all day together, getting pictures of kids on the podium with their medals, eating out at Olive Garden after. All a great memory! And watching Alex Fuller become state champ in the 100 [Butter]fly is hard to beat,” said Pace.

Team members had different meets that were their favorite. “Our senior night stood out to me more than any other meet we had this season. It was really fun cheering for the seniors and celebrating them,” said Grout.

Overall, the girls Swim and Dive team placed eighth at States, and the boys team finished 21st. The team of Lila Kate Robinson (freshman), Reece Yowell (sophomore), Sophie Pace (sophomore), and Alex Fuller (junior) placed sixth place in the Girls 200 Medley Relay. Alex Fuller placed second in the 50 meter freestyle and won the 100 meter butterfly.