From+left+to+right%2C+FBLA+winners+Harmonie+Palmer%2C+Brandon+Rougie%2C+Alexandra+Ball%2C+and+Katie+Bond.+Photo+courtesy+of+Christine+Kreitzman.+
Christine Kreitzman
From left to right, FBLA winners Harmonie Palmer, Brandon Rougie, Alexandra Ball, and Katie Bond. Photo courtesy of Christine Kreitzman.

Four FBLA Flucos Place at Regionals

Four FBLA Flucos Place at Regionals

Four FCHS students placed in the March 2 Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) regional competition in Richmond. These students included Alexandra Ball and Katie Bond (1st place in Hospitality and Event Management), Harmonie Palmer (2nd place in Visual Design), and Brandon Rougie (2nd place in Public Speaking).

FBLA is a nationally chartered organization with middle school, high school, and collegiate chapters. The official website’s bylaws note that “The purpose of FBLA is to provide, as an integral part of the instructional program, additional opportunities for secondary students in business and/or business-related fields to develop vocational and career supportive competencies and to promote civic and personal responsibilities.”

Bond noted that in order to win, “Ali and I [each] took a 100-question test in under 50 minutes and they averaged our scores and submitted them to Regionals. The score that was the highest won,” she added.

The sponsors for FBLA include Business teachers Christine Kreitzman, Willane Charles, and Tonya Vowels. “Our job is to be in the background and guide our chapter members. We help with projects, fundraising and then, of course, the competitions,” said Kreitzman. “Kind of like a parent, we are there for whatever they need, even driving them to competitions. One of our big goals is to help students become the best person they can be, whether through getting them into a leadership role or having them do a difficult competition.”

Kreitzman added that members also help students “do community service and work on leadership skills in the fall. In the spring, we work on competitions that have to do with business careers.”

The students will compete in the state competition in Reston on April 12-14.