Students+at+the+Rotary+Youth+Leadership+Awards+Conference+on+Presidents+Day+weekend.+Photo+courtesy+of+Beck+Martin.+
Beck Martin
Students at the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Conference on President’s Day weekend. Photo courtesy of Beck Martin.

Students Attend Interact Leadership Conference

The FCHS Interact Club attended the RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) on Feb. 17-18 in Wakefield, Virginia.

The Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) is a weekend leadership program for young adults ages 15-18 which allows students to play a role as representatives to the school board. According to Interact, RYLA is designed for teens with proven leadership abilities and a commitment to community service. Participation enables students to develop their leadership skills and build their characters, gain exposure to different issues and people, meet different community leaders, and learn important information and career skills.

“The RYLA conference this year was an amazing experience,” said junior Rebecca “Beck” Martin, who was appointed to be a delegate along with juniors Victoria Martinez and Sean Orth. “It is a great opportunity to interact with different people all over our region and it taught me leadership skills and impersonal skills,” said Martin.

Martin said that over the course of the three days, she was able to learn and grow. “Being able to meet and talk to so many people was incredible, especially since we live in a small town. We talked about law making and how to interact with local politics, which I think is a great skill for students in our age range. Delegates from all over southeastern Virginia made projects that exhibited our individual leadership skills as well as addressed issues in our communities,” she said.

The effects of being at the conference are long-lasting. “Even now, a week later, I’m still expanding on the same interpersonal and leadership skills that we learned at the conference. I think going there was a life changing experience,” said Martin.

Next up for Interact includes a bake sale in the coming weeks to support Rise Against Hunger, a national Interact program which helps support children and adults in need of food. If you’re interested in joining Interact, see Club Advisor Carolynne Hagan in room 3502.