Joe Crisp
FCHS Network Administrator Joe Crisp with Disc Golf club members Ben Hunsaker and Brady Crisp at hole 10 on Dec. 2.

Disc Golf Club Helps Pleasant Grove Stay on Course

Members of the FCHS Disc Golf Club were able to practice team bonding by helping maintain the disc golf course at Pleasant Grove on Dec. 2.

Led by FCHS Network Administrator Joe Crisp, the club cleared debris from the course, as well as helped install or fix tee pads (the rectangular teeing ground that starts each hole) around the course. The club assisted members of Fluvanna’s Parks and Recreation department, local Rotary Club members, and other community volunteers in clearing dead or fallen trees, cutting overhanging branches and overgrown thorns, and identifying the need for future maintenance.

The Disc Golf Club is a student club open to everyone, regardless of skill level. Crisp is working with other local disc golf clubs and teams to establish a local interscholastic disc golf league.

“I’ve been in contact with disc golf club sponsors at eight other schools, and I still have many more schools to contact, so it looks like we’ll have a solid group of clubs to compete with in the spring,” said Crisp. He hopes to bring more awareness to the sport since the Professional Disc Golf Association’s Professional Disc Golf World Championships will be held in Lynchburg in 2024. “It’s going to be a huge year for disc golf in the Commonwealth, and I’m hoping to take advantage of the additional attention on the sport in Virginia to build the foundation for competitive high school disc golf,” he added.

Building a foundation for a sport often starts at home, which is where course maintenance days come in. The Pleasant Grove course is free for anyone to play, dawn to dusk, and is in the park behind the playground. The course is only a few years old, but it winds between woodlands and meadows. Briars, limbs, thorns, and other overgrowth that lines the course often grow onto holes, making it hard for players to navigate.

To help keep the course clean, Fluvanna Parks and Rec organizes regular course maintenance days which are open to all. Volunteers must register with the Fluvanna County Parks and Rec and be willing to undertake manual labor. For more information or dates, contact FCPR’s Recreational Programs & Special Events Coordinator, Eric Armentrout at [email protected].

For more information on the Flying Flucos Disc Golf Club, check out this Fluco Beat article.