• April 29The Fluvanna Health Clinic will be offering sports physicals for the 2024-25 school year on May 8 from 5pm to 7pm in the Auxiliary Gym. The cost is $50 and students must have parental consent.

Amy Richardson
FCHS students who attended the Girl Power field trip. Photo Courtesy of Amy Richardson.

FCHS Students Learn About Girl Power

On Nov. 3, a group of FCHS girls were put to work while learning more about electric cooperatives. By working through the Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware Association of Electric Cooperatives (VMDAEC), a group of science teacher Amy Richardson’s female students practiced what it is like being an electric lineman.

“Power and empowerment are attained by doing and succeeding,” said Richardson. “These girls did a host of activities any electric cooperative worker would be expected to do and achieved great success.  They climbed electrical poles, flew drones that would reveal downed power lines, melded broken electrical cables, and so much more,” she added.

“It was surprising to me how girls I currently teach, previously taught and never taught could be so cohesive and supportive to each other.  This is how I would define Girl Power,” Richardson said. She also noted the following: ‘If you never get a chance to try, you set boundaries on your capabilities.  This field trip pushed boundaries in such a great way.”

For a video of the field trip, visit CBS19 News.

To learn more about the Girl Power, check out VMDAEC.