The Fluco Beat

• May 9Students who had artwork in the Art Show this school year needs to see their teacher to pick up work. All items will only be available until May 22.
  • May 9Anyone that signed up for AP Government next year should stop by room #4502 soon to get summer work and information.
  • May 7All Students! If you are using a school locker please plan ahead and be sure to clean out your locker by the end of the school year. All items left behind will be thrown out.
  • May 7The eighth grade dance is May 11. Tickets are sold during lunches, the price is $10.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Snow White, Disneyland Entrance Plaza, Disneyland Anaheim, California, August, 2008 by Joe Penniston. CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 DEED.
Joe Penniston

Is Disney’s Snow White’ Remake a Mistake?

Are the Disney princesses out of date or are they classics? Disney seems to think they need new and revised classic stories, but many people argue that the old movies are part of their childhood and shouldn’t be changed.

For example, there is a lot of controversy with the new live-action Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, which is due to come out in March of 2024. The plot is being changed with the sense that there will be no prince and a more modern Snow White will come to light. As noted in US Weekly, “They change the stories, they change the thought processes of the characters, they just aren’t the original stories anymore. They’re making up new woke things and I’m just not into any of that,” said David Hand, whose father was a director on the original film.

Actor Rachel Zeglar, who is cast as the new Snow White, said “She’s not going to be saved by the prince. And she’s not going to be dreaming about true love. She’s dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be, and the leader that her late father told her that she could be if she was fearless, fair, brave and true.”

Even though this new storyline has the intent of promoting a powerful feminist idea, some individuals believe the traditional story is what shaped their childhood. Many people online, including Hand, do not want the original storyline to change, thus leading to widespread controversy that may threaten how the film, and others which Disney insists on changing, do at the box office.

Simple characters from classic storylines like Cinderella, and Aurora from Sleeping Beauty are known for wanting true love. While there are also princesses like Mulan and Merida, from the Disney-Pixar movie Brave, that portray those independent and dominant female characters, is it really necessary for Disney to so radically change beloved characters like Snow White?

Disney princesses impact the childhood of many young girls, which is why so many seem to dislike such changes.

“My favorite Disney character is Rapunzel. I like her because I relate most to her out of all Disney characters. I also like her because she will fight for the people she loves,” said FCHS sophomore Emma Sample. She added that she is so fond of Tangled because of how much it has impacted her life as a young girl. Even though Tangled is known for its love story involving Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, it doesn’t appear to undermine Sample’s appreciation for Rapunzel as a strong female figure.

So are the classics too traditional, or are the new films taking things too far? One thing is certain: There are few teens today for whom Disney has not played a role in their lives. “Ninety-nine percent of my childhood, Lion King and Aladdin were on repeat,” said senior Brie Ashnafi.