The Fluco Beat

• April 24A paper recycling project is occurring. Please place any old and unused papers and notes in the box in the cafeteria until April 29.
  • April 23700 students showed up to the Suicide Prevention Walk on April 19. All profits benefited the ConnerStrong Foundation.
  • April 9Four members of the debate team qualified for States at their Super Regional tournament on April 6. States will occur April 26 and 27 at JMU.
  • April 9Prom tickets are $20 and are on sale before school and during lunches.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Photo Courtesy of Gabbo T
Taylor Swift by Gabbo T – Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic – https://flickr.com/photos/57638320@N00/17684337073

“Swifties” Ecstatic for New “1989”

As the U.S. leg of her Eras Tour comes to an end, Taylor Swift has announced that “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” will be her next re-recorded album.

“Swifties,” the popular name of Taylor Swift fans, had been speculating that this might be Swift’s next move, as she had been giving “Easter eggs,” or hints to what her next re-recording would be. Swift is infamous for her elaborate Easter eggs, including her wearing blue costumes during the Eras Tour (blue being of significance to the 1989 album) and clues in her recently-released music videos, such as a road sign reading “1989 TV” and allusions to the “Bad Blood” music video from the “1989” album.

Swift’s fifth studio album, “1989,” was released October 27, 2014. Nine years to date, “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” will be released on October 27, 2023.

According to Deadline, the origin of Swift’s desire to re-record some of her albums stems from her former record label, Big Machine Records, that sold her master rights. She has been adamantly vocal about her desire to own and control all of her work.

The night of the announcement, Swift noted to her fans, “When I announced that I was doing re-records, that was something I expected to be a me thing; just a personal thing. Since I was a teenager, I wanted to own my own music and the way to do it was to re-record my albums. You embraced that…you celebrated that. You really decided that it was your fight too, and that you were 100% behind me, and if I care about it, you care about it. And I just want to thank you for that.”

FCHS students have had varying reactions to the album release. “I’m so excited. Taylor is my favorite artist and 1989 is one of my favorite albums. I can’t wait to see how “Taylor’s Version” comes out,”said junior Megan Rougie.

However, not everyone shares Rougie’s excitement, proving, perhaps, that you have to be a “Swiftie” to appreciate it. “I didn’t even know it was announced. I like her music, but I don’t really keep up with her,” said junior Jessie Dillon.