The Fluco Beat

• April 24A paper recycling project is occurring. Please place any old and unused papers and notes in the box in the cafeteria until April 29.
  • April 23700 students showed up to the Suicide Prevention Walk on April 19. All profits benefited the ConnerStrong Foundation.
  • April 9Four members of the debate team qualified for States at their Super Regional tournament on April 6. States will occur April 26 and 27 at JMU.
  • April 9Prom tickets are $20 and are on sale before school and during lunches.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

Image Created by Fluco Journalism

Hobbies Get You in Touch With Your Inner Self

People across the world struggle with filling their leisure time in productive ways. Sure, it’s easy to just hop on social media and scroll away for hours. But it’s not always the healthiest thing to do, and aside from wasting time that could be better spent, social media can actually make you feel worse and stressed.

Developing a hobby is a satisfying way to change this. Aside from learning a new skill or broadening your view of the world, hobbies can be excellent sources of relaxation when you need a break from school or work. Here are some hobbies to consider.

Arts
There are dozens of subcategories in art that can get your creative juices flowing. According to Gateway Schools, artistic hobbies are a great way to minimize stress and boost self-esteem. Drawing, painting, and writing are classic ways to express yourself. Or, if you are interested in a more unique outlet, look into pottery or candle-making.

Any form of art can be a tough, time-consuming process, but the effort you put in will bear many fruits in the long run. To start your artistic hobby, you can take classes, either in-person or online, and it’s surprising what lessons you can find that are absolutely free. For example, FCHS offers several art classes including painting, photography, and digital art.

You can also watch free tutorial videos on YouTube. One of the most famous artists offering free online art classes is the late Bob Ross. His online tutorials can be found here.

Gardening
If you are ready and willing to get into the nitty gritty of the great outdoors, gardening may be perfect for you. You have the ability to grow your own fruits, vegetables, and flowers right in your backyard. It just takes hard work and dedication. Not only will you witness the fruition of your work, but you will get the fresh air and sunshine your body needs.

“Being outside in the fresh air and sunshine is an effective way to boost your mood and de-stress. In fact, gardening has shown to be helpful in reducing the risk of depression,” says Julia Haskins of The Nation’s Health Publication.

Be aware that a gardening hobby can have its challenges, like when a deer decides to munch on your produce, but it is still one of the most stress-relieving hobbies out there. Taking an agricultural class is an easy way to learn gardening skills. FCHS offers a variety of agriculture classes taught by Russell Jennings, including Introduction to Plant Systems, Horticulture Sciences, Greenhouse Plant Production and Management, and Agricultural Fabrication and Emerging Technologies.

Baking/Cooking
Those who prefer spending quality time in the kitchen might find that baking or cooking speaks to your inner self. There are endless possibilities for creating something in the kitchen, from a customized dessert to a savory stroganoff.

“Being creative in the kitchen means you can take whatever’s available and generally come up with something edible, if not delicious,” says writer Johnathan Cepelak of Thrive Global. And if you have dreams of cooking for your family or friends, the Betty Crocker website has dozens of recipes, some more complex than others, which provide an easy way to start your journey in the kitchen.

If you want more formal training, or might want to consider cooking or food service as a career, you can also take FCHS’ Introduction to Culinary Arts or Culinary Arts I and II, taught either by Andrea Pankau or Jonnay Grooms.

Volunteer
There are many ways you can volunteer your time to something extraordinary such as your local church, school, nursing homes, the Salvation Army, or emergency response services.

According to Western Connecticut State University, volunteering “strengthens your ties to the community and broadens your support network, exposing you to people with common interests, neighborhood resources, and fun and fulfilling activities.” Community service isn’t just about making yourself feel good, but it’s about making a difference in even a small part of the world.

The FCHS Interact Club and Student Government Association (SGA) do a lot of volunteering throughout the school year, and even during summer vacation. You can sign up for the Interact Club the next time there are club sign ups, while applications for the 2025 SGA will become available next January or February.

Physical Activity
Whether it’s weightlifting, dance, or pilates, getting your body in motion has numerous benefits and can be a great way to pass time. Taking up hobbies that involve physical activity is also an important way to lead a healthy lifestyle that keeps you in shape. According to Adventist Healthcare, sport hobbies “[help] to stretch and tone muscles, lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, burn fat, balance blood sugar, and reduce stress.”

Exercise can also help you develop muscle and coordination that will benefit you throughout the rest of your life. You can sign up to take one or more weightlifting classes at FCHS, or take advantage of the two gyms, Lifestyle Fitness and Orme Family Fitness, in the Lake Monticello vicinity. If you want to save money and/or workout in the comfort of your own home, take advantage of free apps like the Daily Workouts- Home Trainer, or look for workout videos on YouTube.

The important thing to remember about starting a new hobby is to be intentional about what you do and be content with what you find important. Nothing can keep you from dreaming about your interests, so dive right in and start exploring the options.