The Fluco Beat

• April 29The Fluvanna Health Clinic will be offering sports physicals for the 2024-25 school year on May 8 from 5pm to 7pm in the Auxiliary Gym. The cost is $50 and students must have parental consent.
  • April 24A paper recycling project is occurring. Please place any old and unused papers and notes in the box in the cafeteria until April 29.
  • April 23700 students showed up to the Suicide Prevention Walk on April 19. All profits benefited the ConnerStrong Foundation.
  • April 8Culinary will be selling Cake in a Cup, sweet tea, and lemonade during April. Cakes are $3 while sweet tea and lemonade are $1 each.

The Fluco Beat

The Fluco Beat

The personals section in the Jan. 13, 1914, issue of The Seattle Star. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
The Seattle Star

The Horrors of Personal Ads

My entire time as a freelance fashion designer I just wanted to find a woman to work with in hopes of finding one I could love, but I never could find the courage. I could barely even pitch my clothing designs, and when I finally mustered up the courage to do so, my stutter would get in the way and people would just walk away. In school, I was always the kind of person to not ask for help because I didn’t want to embarrass myself. Everyday was an obstacle with my social anxiety and it seemed like I was never fit for the job. I felt like if I could at least find a woman to love, I could overcome my social awkwardness. As for pitching my clothing designs, I was hopeless.

One day I decided to just quit in pursuit of love, so I chased it in the only way I could think of: personal ads. They are hit or miss, in my opinion. There was one that read as follows:

“Chloe, 22, female. I’m looking for a man who can care for me and has a million dollars…”

Obviously, I could not get behind this because I was broke. I answered anyway. She wrote back “Ew” and that was it. 

I saw too many that always had the same theme: money. So I started lying when I responded to personal ads. The most successful one I answered actually led to an actual meet up. Here’s what it read:

“Supermodel looking for an alpha male to set me straight. I have felt the need for a man who can handle me. So I’m hoping one big muscular alpha male can let me see the joy in life. Has to be sympathetic, a millionaire, stable career, 6-foot, owns a Lamborghini Countach and a BMW. Here’s what I bring to the table: I am pretty because I have a decent amount of money from modeling, but that is my pocket money. If interested, hit up, #814-380-0081.”

I instantly fell in love, just like I did with the others. I called the number and a woman answered, “Hello?”

“H-h-h-h-hi. I saw y-your number on a personal a-ad,” I stammered uncontrollably. 

“Oh, well, let’s meet up then,” she said abruptly. 

I was hesitant, but I felt I could show my worth through my personality. “Ok, let’s meet up,” I said.

She gave me directions to an alleyway in the slums, but I thought, “I won’t judge,” and tried to keep an open mind. I walked down the alleyway. Then a gang walked into the alleyway after me. The guy in front said, “Yo, yo, yo, you that gullible ahh, dude, who thought a supermodel would look for a man through a personal ad?” 

“Y-y-y-yes… that’s me,” I replied. “Where is she?”

The gang leader laughed for a while and then responded, “She doesn’t exist, lil’ bro bro. Now anyway, where’s that Countach and BMW? Thought you would have those.”

“I-I-I-I’d bring it on the second da–”

“You’re lying,” he said, cutting me off. “Well, cough up some money then.”

I checked my pockets and only had a few quarters on me. I tossed them to him.

“Not enough,” he said, pulling a baseball bat from out behind him. “Well, if you don’t have money, then let us have a little fun. Come on boys, let’s do our thing.” 

Never will I ever try to find love again.