5 Things I Wish I Knew Before High School

April 22, 2022

May is speeding closer like the last lap of a Mario Kart race as graduates prepare for the next step of their lives and what their high school experience was like as a whole. From Kindergarten (or maybe Pre-K), our graduation year has felt so far away, but now that our schooling is either over or just beginning, it’s that time to recollect on our childhood. Some may reminisce positively while others are negative, or even neutral. As a senior, I am pleased to offer a list of things I wish I knew before I started high school that would have made my life easier.

Time management will save you – Although obvious, great time management is absolutely crucial to your success. The better reign you have over your time management, the less stressed you’re bound to be. When you have your time organized as well as whatever work you have to do, it saves you a world’s worth of worry so that you can prioritize and get everything done. Take advantage of free time during classes to get stuff done and have a set schedule for when you get home. Something I found helpful was doing my more challenging assignments first because that would take up the majority of my time, and then do the easier things last. It’s also important to understand that you need to take short breaks every now and again because your brain will become mush when overexerted. It takes a second to figure out what works for you, but the sooner you figure it out, the better off you will be in the future.

It’s okay to ask for help

Believe it or not, there are people that are here to help you. Sure, some are less helpful than others, but there are absolutely staff here that want you to succeed. Whether I’m struggling with grades or a more emotional matter, there are plenty of people I could visit to get whatever help or advice I need, regardless of what’s stressing me out. Most teachers are willing to tutor you or offer resources to assist you in your studies if you can’t work out a particular time to meet, you just have to ask. More often than not, they’ll agree to help you, especially with more upper-level classes because they rarely offer extra credit. Another option to look into is therapy. Many high school students see therapists or, if they’re unable, they speak to the school counseling department. FCHS Counseling is a link on the FCHS website that can direct you to the school counselors where you can set up a meeting, or you can walk down to counseling and ask if you can speak with someone. There are all sorts of ways you can receive different forms of assistance from many resources, you just have to ask.

Your beliefs are going to change

When you enter high school, you are going to become a different person by the time you graduate. Once you get older, your ideals for right and wrong change rather quickly. It’s stressful at first because you feel like you’re losing sight of yourself, but it’s worth it in the end because you actually find yourself. In middle school, you feel like nothing in the real world can touch you and that everything will always be the same, but the sooner you accept that middle school you and high school you will be two different people, the easier the transition will be. Nothing is permanent and that’s okay. Your beliefs might change on a political standpoint, or even a personal standpoint but you are definitely going to have some form of character development once you get into high school.

Don’t abandon yourself for other people

Relationships are difficult, there’s no denying that, but it should not be at the expense of yourself. From friendships to romantic relationships, some people bring out the best in you and others will bring out the worst. The important thing is to make sure that you don’t lose sight of yourself because of this. I, myself, have made some choices I regret because I wanted to be someone else for a past relationship, and it was a disaster. Your relationships should be of value to you, but not more important than knowing what’s healthy for your best self.

Get used to the fact that your friend group is going to change

In middle school it feels as though everything will last forever and that you’re untouchable, but a lot of things happen in your life, big or small. As a person, you’re going to change, and so will your friends. In some friendships you’ll come out as different people and remain close, but in other cases, you have to learn to let go of things or even people that no longer serve you. It’s going to be okay, even if it hurts in the moment.

High school is bound to be difficult and you are going to grow significantly. There are good and bad experiences, but it’s up to you to make the most of it all. That embarrassing thing you did last week will be irrelevant in the long run, I promise. This will all pass, and you will graduate. You’ve got this.