Fluvanna Sports in Review 2/8

February 13, 2019

Senior+Drew+Pace+driving+to+the+basket+at+the+Varsity+game+against+Powhatan+on+1%2F25.+Photo+courtesy+of+Fluvanna+Photos.+

Senior Drew Pace driving to the basket at the Varsity game against Powhatan on 1/25. Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Photos.

Swim and Dive

On Feb. 1, the boys’ and girls’ swim teams headed to the Charlottesville YMCA for the regional qualifier against Western Albemarle and Charlottesville. Both teams finished in second place behind Western Albemarle, with the Lady Flucos’ scoring only three points less than the Warriors. Swimmers that are now qualified for Regionals from the girls’ team include: senior Olivia Strickland (100 breast); junior Emma DiFazio (200 freestyle and 100 back); junior Jocelyn Notman (500 free); sophomore Abby Harlow (200 IM); freshman Meghan Dech (500 free); and freshman Grace Farist (100 free).

Not only did six Lady Flucos’ qualify for Regionals, but four of them broke school records. Sophomore Abby Fuller broke a Fluvanna record for the 200 free (2:01.03) and the 100 breast (1:08.63). She was also a part of the team that swam a 1:49.29 in the 200 medley relay.

The boys’ team also had a successful meet, with ten swimmers now qualified for Regionals. The list includes: sophomore Hunter Strickland (200 freestyle and 100 back); sophomore Owen Strickland (200 freestyle and 100 free); senior Jack Kershner (50 free and 100 back); junior Conner Bridge (100 free); freshman Anthony Caruso (100 fly and 200 free); sophomore Eddie Navarro (100 fly); sophomore Austin Fairbanks (100 free); senior Rhett Jones (500 free); freshman Jacob Ondek (200 Free Relay); and sophomore Tyler Harris (200 Free Relay). Multiple school records were broken by the boys’ team as well, including the 200 medley relay (1:45.86) and the 400 free relay (3:31.86).

In addition, sophomore Hunter Strickland broke a record in the 200 free (1:51.34). “It was pretty fun because I know all the older people on the swim team and I knew who held it before me,” he said.

Many Flucos have now qualified for States as well, including Strickland (200 free, 100 back, and men’s 400 free relay); Abby Fuller (200 free); Jack Kershner, Owen Strickland, and Gus Jones (men’s 400 free relay).

Meanwhile, the Fluco Dive team competed at Fairview Pool in Charlottesville for the regional qualifier on Feb. 2. Senior Sterling Ruff is now qualified for Regionals. “I was super thrilled and ecstatic, and can’t wait to compete,” said Ruff. There are now five Fluco divers qualified for Regionals, including Ruff, junior Jason Dech, senior Kamden Shephard, sophomore Lauren Davis, and junior Logan Brophy.

Boys’ Basketball

The varsity team traveled to Louisa on Feb. 1 to take on the Lions, but had a tough game, losing 100-71. Looking to overcome that loss, the Flucos hosted Western Albemarle at home on Feb. 5. The boys battled hard, taking the game into overtime versus the second best team in the region, but fell short 48-44. “Knowing we lost by 30 last time we played them, we had the fire in our gut to come out, slow the game down to our pace, and play excellent offense and defense,” said sophomore John Rittenhouse, who scored a career high of 21 points.

Meanwhile, the JV team beat the Lions 38-28. “Just running our plays worked well. Executing was big, and doing what are Coach [Jason Barnett] told us really helped,” said sophomore Marquel Franklin, who led the team with 17 points. For their last game, the Flucos hosted Western Albemarle, battling against an undefeated JV team, but lost 46-29. Despite this, the Fluco JV team finished the season with a positive overall record of 14-7.

Girls’ Basketball

On Feb. 1 the Lady Flucos also traveled to Louisa for an away conference game against the Lions. Varsity played passionately and ultimately won by a score of 59-47. “[By] blocking out all the noise, along with everybody’s energy and confidence,” was what sophomore Kelise Thomas said was key to their victory. Junior Nevaeh Ivory led the Flucos with an outstanding 29 points and four rebounds. Following the win, the Lady Flucos were on the road again at Western Albemarle on Feb. 5. Losing by only 9 points, Fluvanna proved to be a challenging opponent for the nearly-perfect, 20-2 Warriors. Despite the loss, the Flucos are still a solid 12-8 and 10-4 in the region so far this season.

The JV girls lost by a score of 48-22 in their away match up against Louisa on Feb. 1. The JV Lady Flucos couldn’t bounce back against Western Albemarle on Feb. 5, losing by a tight score of 40-33. The losses drop the team to 6-13 on the year.

ACE

The Fluvanna ACE team made their way to Western Albemarle for the regional competition on Feb. 2. While the Flucos won three of their seven matches, it wasn’t quite enough for them to move on, so their season came to an end. However,  team members, like junior Claire Kent, remained focused on the positives, such as being able to answer a question on Henry Clay correctly. “We’re pretty evenly-matched and we won sometimes,” said freshman Joseph O’Connor, who said he excels at history questions.

Track and Field

The team made their way to FUMA for the Jefferson District Meet on Feb. 2. The following ladies received All-District honors: sophomore Kaitlin Bower (55m dash and long jump); junior Kieri Hart (500m and 4×400 relay); junior Hattie Lintecum (500m and 4×400 relay); sophomore Summer Craig (100 m run); sophomore Emily Smeds (1600 m run); junior Amina Wilson (pole vault); senior Ashlee Pieno (pole vault); sophomore Hannah Feith (triple jump); sophomore Skylar Solga (4x400m relay); freshman Olivia Farruggio (4x400m relay); and freshman Shea Hart (high jump). “I was a little disappointed because I didn’t hit the time I wanted to, but I’m very close to it and I know I can hit that at Regionals,” said Kieri Hart.

Nineteen Lady Flucos are now headed to the regional meet, including Kieri Hart, who finished 2nd in the 500m, and senior Ashlee Pieno and junior Amina Wilson who both finished 3rd in pole vault. The 4×400 relay team finished 3rd at the Jefferson District Meet and will now compete for victory at Regionals. “I was really proud and I want the rest of our girls to do well so we can qualify for States,” said Lintecum.

On the same day, the Fluvanna boys’ team finished second out of eight teams. Multiple Flucos placed first in their respective categories, including junior Ledric Reid (55m hurdles), senior Colby Martin (triple jump), and junior Eli Hartzog (shot put). “When he (the starter) said ‘set’, my mindstate was just driving forward and I was just thinking about States,” said junior Ledric Reid.

The team was extremely competitive overall, with senior Dante Eddings achieving his season best in the 55m dash, 300m dash, and long jump. Junior Cameron Holland, who finished 5th in the long jump, also achieved a season best of 19-5.75.

Wrestling

The Flucos had seven wrestlers compete in the District championships on Feb. 2. Out of the seven, six of placed for Regionals. Placing 4th were Wyatt Dillon, Jariq Henson, Mason Justus, Tyler Stoy, and Dakota Mundy. Coming in 2nd at Districts was Ethan Vernatter.

“It was alright. I could’ve done better. I need three wins this coming Saturday to go to States, so four wins would be good,” said Stoy. Meanwhile, Vernatter said, “I feel pretty good. The dude I lost to was pretty good, so I was a pretty even match. My goal is to place at States.”