Fluvanna Sports in Review 9/1

September 7, 2017

Junior Hannah Ledford celebrates with her team at the varsity game against Broadway on Aug. 29 Photo courtesy of Fluvannaphotos.com

Cross Country

On Aug 29, the Fluvanna cross country teams competed at Ragged Mountain in what was their second race of the season. The Flucos pushed through the race with their eyes focused on the finishing line, and the results revealed their determination.

The girls’ cross country team placed third overall, with three of the Lady Flucos placing in the top 25, including Freshman Emily Smeds who placed third, Senior Saige Haney who placed 13th, and Sophomore Heidi Lintecum who placed 18th. All three girls received Ragged Mountain cup shirts, while Smeds also received a watch.

“It is always a really enjoyable race and I always look forward to [it] each year,” said Senior Kathryn Madison. All veteran members of the girls team beat their records from last year.

Although much smaller in numbers than the girls’ team, the Fluco boys also placed at the event, with Senior Jack Rice placing 12th overall. “We definitely improved as a team from the first meet, and the girls’ team made huge improvement,” said Senior Joe Sullivan.

Volleyball

Saturday, Aug. 26 was a busy day at Fluvanna County High School with the Lady Flucos’ varsity volleyball team participating in a round robin tournament. The team played a total of four games with the result being that they won two games and lost two games.  Three days later, both the varsity and JV teams competed at home against the Broadway Fighting Gobblers.

Despite being down by ten points partway through the game, the varsity team never lost sight of their goal of victory. “We played well and had good energy with a lot of confidence and a ton of fight in us,” said Senior Abby Sherman. Grabbing hold of that confidence and fight left in them, the varsity team was ultimately able to come from behind and win the match 3-1 in sets.  

As for JV, they were not as fortunate that day, suffering a defeat after a close match. In the first set the Fighting Gobblers defeated the Flucos 25-8, while in the second set the Flucos came back with a score of 25-22. Now tied, the pressure was on, but in the final set the Lady Flucos lost 15-11, giving Broadway the overall victory.. “We are improving in skill sets. The game was very fun and very close,” said sophomore Loren Black.

Varsity Football

On Aug. 25, the Flucos went up against the Bluestone Barons during their first home game of the season. No points were made from either side during the first half as tension built for the Flucos to start of their season on a postive note. The first touchdown in the game was made by the Barons, but the Flucos soon came back, with Junior Prophett Harris putting the Flucos on the scoreboard and making it 7-6.

With 5 minutes and 46 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter, Junior Joey Vandyke scored a touchdown for the Flucos, with Senior Ethan Graves making the extra point and changing the board to 14-12. Fluvanna was able to hold onto their lead in the remaining minutes and win the game, resulting in a slew of Flucos storming the field to celebrate.

Even though they started off the season on the right foot, the Flucos still have a long way to go. “We played good enough to win this time, but we’ll have to do better next game,” said Senior Jacob Taylor.

JV Football

On Aug. 30, the JV football team butted heads with Spotsylvania at home. The Knights ended up taking the win, ending the evening with a score of 18-48. JV player and sophomore Leukas Koczan expalined that while although the team’s offense is good overall, “we need to shut down the C gap.” “We played hard, but it’s still the beginning of the season. We still have things to improve and work on so that we’re better by the end of the season,” said Head Coach Mike Morris.

Golf

The golf team traveled to William Monroe on Aug. 28 to take on William Monroe and Central Woodstock. This week did not seem to be up to par from their last match, as they came in third with a score of 179 strokes.

Next, the Flucos took on Powhatan on Aug. 30. It was a close match, but Fluvanna lost to Powhatan by score of 183-174. “We need to work on keeping our head right and not getting overwhelmed,” said Sophomore Justin Warner as they prepared for the next match, this time against Albemarle.