Fluco Journalism
A display of previous Literary Magazine covers on the wall of the Journalism room, room 1518. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism

Literary Magazine Seeks Writers and Artists

The 2024 Literary Magazine and the Fluco Beat student news site are looking for artwork submissions, including photography, drawings, paintings, digital art, and other forms of artwork. They are also looking for student artists willing to create artwork to go along with existing stories or poems. This is a chance to get your artwork published.

The 2024 “Undefined” Literary Magazine will be Volume 20 of the annual magazine which showcases the creative writing and artwork of FCHS students. The publication is currently being created by the FCHS Literary Magazine Club which evaluates both writing and art submissions from students in the school’s Creative Writing classes and Fine Arts classes, as well as submissions from students in the general student population. Final selections will be made by the club members.

Kessler Potter is continuing as the Senior Editor of the magazine, her second year in that role. Other club members include Rachael Broxon, Annika Potter, and Hunter Perkins. The publisher is Journalism Adviser Elizabeth Pellicane, who has been publishing the magazine since 2010.

The magazine will be submitted to the Virginia High School League (VHSL) for judging in the Magazine category. Results will be announced by VHSL in October.

“Last year, we earned a First Class rating for the magazine, which is the second time we’ve gotten a First Class award. Our goal this year is to get Trophy Class which is the equivalent of winning States, which is what we received for our 2022 magazine,” said Pellicane.

If you’re an artist interested in submitting your work for possible publication in either the Literary Magazine or the Fluco Beat, email it to [email protected]. Artwork and written submissions will be accepted up to April 15.