Photo Courtesy of Ally Lounsbury

2022 Prom King Jacob Ondek and Prom Queen Shayleigh Sims

Making Prom a Night to Remember

Prom is a “right of passage” and the place where 90% of high school movie resolutions seem to take place. Next to graduation, it represents the culmination of a long school year, so the FCHS Prom committee is working to make it a good one.

This year’s dance is set for April 15 from 8-11 pm in the school cafeteria and has a theme of “Enchanted Garden.” The tickets are $20 and will be on sale the last week of March and the week after spring break.

According to Sarah Beth Robinson, a member of the Junior Prom Committee, “We have a larger budget for Prom this year, so we have more room for creativity with decorations and props.” Madison Daidone, another member of the Junior Prom Committee, said “We’re working hard to make the prom memorable and a fun night for everyone.”

Planning a dance can be expensive, so expensive that the Prom committee has been working to raise money since late November. They have worked basketball concessions and hosted a week-long baked goods and tea and lemonade sale in December. They also did a Chipotle fundraiser on Feb. 4 where 33% percent of event sales were donated to the Prom Committee.

So how are students preparing for the big night? Aside from setting aside money for tickets and making plans on who to go with, the major task seems to be finding their ideal outfit. In case you haven’t found what you’re looking for yet, here are a few tips for deciding the perfect Prom attire.

Establish a budget
While some people are comfortable with spending heaps of money on Prom attire and aren’t turned off by a high price tag, some students are on a fixed budget.

”My friend spent almost $700 on a dress last year and I couldn’t fathom [it],” said one student. Another student admitted to spending $200 on a dress alone, while others said that the most they’d spend on a dress is $75. Just take a good look at your budget before you start shopping.

Explore your options
If you don’t mind shopping, browsing through a variety of stores may be in your best interest. While there is clearly not much to choose from in Fluvanna, Charlottesville and especiall, Short Pump, have lots of stores that could help you come to terms with selecting the best look.

Student favorites for finding outfits relatively locally include Dillards, Windsor, David’s Bridal, and Runway Couture, all in Short Pump. If physical shopping is not your choice, either due to time or transportation issues, websites such as Shein, Windsor, Nordstrom, and Camille La Vie may have some great Prom options.

If you’re on a really tight budget, a number of students have gotten great outfits at the Palmyra Goodwill, or online at Shein or Amazon. Azazie sells bridesmaids-type dresses for $99 or less.

For more information about getting Prom attire at a reduced price in Fluvanna, see the Glass Slipper, which was recently reviewed by the Fluco Beat.

Pick what you like, not what you think other expect of you
Don’t let what others expect of you alter what you want to wear. If you feel your best in flat shoes, someone else purchasing high heels shouldn’t make you doubt your decision– especially if you prioritize comfort over appearance. Likewise, while some stores may encourage you to pay more to get the “latest” fashion, what’s the likelihood that anyone at the dance will know (or care) if your outfit is the latest thing?