Photo Courtesy of Karen Collier

Dresses available at the Effort Church’s Glass Slipper Project.

Glass Slipper Project Makes Cinderella Dreams Come True

January 18, 2023

Mention the word “Prom” to many Flucos and you might be surprised how many students have already picked out their outfit months in advance. However, not all students have the funds to drop $200 or more on a dress. So a local group has made a habit of helping to bring those Cinderella dreams to life.

The Glass Slipper Mission Project is the brainchild of Effort Church in Palmyra. Church members started the project in 2013 to assist girls going to Prom or Homecoming who could not afford to get what they needed.  The project collects Prom/Homecoming dresses, shoes, jewelry, purses and more each year from local residents and sells them at a reduced price in a boutique located at the church.

Dresses and other attire range from $10 to $25, and shoes cost $2-$5 each. This is the first year that male attire is being collected and they are only accepting suits that are black, dark grey, and navy blue.

Funds raised through the boutique are used to award scholarships, and to date, the project has awarded over $40,000 in scholarships. According to Glass Slipper support Karen Collier, students who are interested in applying for a Glass Slipper scholarship can contact their FCHS counselor or click this link.

The boutique’s current hours are Thursdays 5:30-7:00 pm or later and Sundays 2:00-4:00 pm or later.  After Feb. 15, hours will change to Wednesdays 5:30-7:00 pm; Thursdays 5:30-7:00 pm; and Sundays 2:00-4:00 pm or later.

Clothing donations can be dropped off during boutique hours or at the church office during weekdays at 7820 Thomas Jefferson Parkway. If you have questions, email [email protected] or call (434) 531-9527.

View Comments(1)
About the Writer
Photo of Molly Pace
Molly Pace, Senior Editor

Molly is in 12th grade, this is her 3rd year in Journalism. She manages the varsity football team and she loves to cook. After college she wants to be...

• K

Karen CollierJan 18, 2023 at 1:11 PM

Nicely done, Molly. This year a 2023 graduating senior at FLUCO and Buckingham County will be awarded the scholarship to PVCC or a VA trade school.

Reply
1