FCHS to Require Mandatory Student Badge Use

November 4, 2019

Photo+courtesy+of+Aydon+Duenas+

Photo courtesy of Aydon Duenas

To enhance the safety of all students at the school, Fluvanna County High School will require all students to begin wearing school ID badges during school hours starting on Nov. 12. On that day, students will receive ID badges and lanyards in their second block classes. From that point on, students will be expected to have their badges on while in the school building.

More and more schools are going to this process in recent years. By having students and staff wear ID badges, everyone will know at a glance whether the person belongs in the school. This is important for enabling teachers and staff to identify students, and also enhances site security by quickly detecting unauthorized visitors. 

Students will not be allowed out of classrooms without badges and will also need badges in order to purchase lunch, check out books, purchase tickets for school games and dances, or participate in school events. Those who forget their badge will receive a temporary badge for up to three days, at which point the school will make the student a new badge. The charge for replacement badges is $3, which will be added to the student’s fee list kept by the bookkeeper. 

While each student will receive one badge and a free lanyard, replacement lanyards or clips are the responsibility of the student. If a student prefers to wear their badge on a clip they may do so, but it must be clipped to the clothes above the waist and must be visible on the outermost item of clothing. 

Students who fail to bring their badge or refuse to show one will receive consequences.