Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Sports Photography

A cap toss at a previous Fluco graduation on the football field.

What Seniors Need to Know Now

February 13, 2023

With graduation quickly approaching, there are a few things that FCHS seniors need to know as the time between now and the big day continues to dwindle. Here are some key senior events, as well as important information seniors should review.

Senior Trips
The annual senior trip to Baltimore, Maryland, is set for Friday, May 12. As usual, the trip involves taking a charter bus to Baltimore to take a cruise of the harbor (lunch will be provided on the boat), then have a couple of hours to walk around to shop and see the sights, followed by attending a Baltimore Orioles baseball game.

The bus will leave FCHS at 6:30 am, so students need to be at the school at 6:00 am. The bus will arrive back at FCHS between 1 am and 2 am the next day.

You must sign up to attend, and the first 50 seniors who turn in their money secure a spot on the bus. Students who sign up after that may or may not be able to go, depending on whether they have enough seniors for a second bus.

Students can pick up or turn in the permission slip to any of Senior Sponsor Mitchell Pace (Room 4502), Jason Davis (Room 3109), or Jason Barnett (Room 3112). The total cost of this trip is $155, and the deposit is $75 which is due Tuesday, February 28. The deadline for full payment is March 30.

Pace noted that there is a possibility that there will be another small senior trip in the next couple of weeks. There has not been a final decision on where, when, and what that event may entail.

Senior Picnic
Seniors can also sign up to attend a senior picnic at Pleasant Grove in May. The actual date has not been finalized, but the time will be during a school day from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm. Seniors who pay and go on the Baltimore trip can attend the picnic for free. All others will pay $5 to attend the picnic which will feature
hotdogs, hamburgers, fried chicken, and a number of sides, as well as games.

The deadline to pay is Friday, March 30. As with the senior trip to Baltimore, permission slips can be picked up and turned in by visiting one of the three senior sponsors.

Caps & Gowns
Graduation caps, gowns, and tassels will be delivered to FCHS soon, and the distribution day will be in the early spring. A date has not been set. Questions can be directed to the senior sponsors, but seniors need to be checking their emails regularly for announcements.

Yearbooks
If you wish to purchase your FCHS 2023 Yearbook “Retrospect,” you can order one now at jostensyearbooks.com, or go to 4501 and talk to Journalism Adviser Elizabeth Pellicane. The cost is $85.

Graduation Announcements
Seniors often have questions about how to obtain these announcements, so it is important to note that the school does not provide them. However, there are multiple websites where you can create your own announcement, including Jostens, Shutterfly, and Simply to Impress. Just remember that if you having a graduation party, the earlier you send out your graduation announcements, the more likely that people won’t have already made commitments to attend other graduates’ parties.

Graduation Date
The date is set for Friday, May 26 at 6:00 pm at the FCHS football field. Graduation practice will be held on the morning of Thursday, May 25 at the FCHS football field.