Flying Flucos Sports Shots

Field Hockey Perseveres Through Hardships

April 13, 2021

Field hockey is proving to be one of the fastest growing sports at Fluvanna County High School. Many girls have tried out for field hockey this season, with enough players to successfully fill two teams. Still as being the newest FCHS sport and Covid-19 rules in place, field hockey has had a difficult time gaining its footing with the coaches and players having to work vigorously to navigate its logistics.

The Field Hockey athletes are required to wear masks when they are off of the playing field. They also have the option to wear their mask on the playing field if they are uncomfortable being near their opponents without one. They are required to have their temperature checked and wash their hands before practices.

In short, the Field Hockey rules and regulations are similar to the winter sports requirements. “Some rules and regulations we have are wearing your mask at all times, unless we’re in the game and/or running. We all have to keep six feet distance at practices as well,” said senior Cassidy Wagner.

Since the expectations may have different ingredients this year, they will need to work together now more than ever to encourage each other in improving each other’s skills. “My expectations for our team this season is to become more skillful and confident in our playing,” said Wagner, who was part of the historical first team at Fluvanna last year.

Support from the bench is a big deal for athletes and students alike throughout this virus-inflicted year, especially since the number of spectators are limited due to Covid. Junior Shayleigh Sims, who has had to sit the season out due to an injury, has done her part to keep a foot in the sport and support her teammates by being a team manager. “Even though I’m not on the field with my teammates this year, I will be supporting them from the sidelines throughout the season. As a manager we keep the book at games, dress/warm up with the goalies. With Covid, we have to keep up with sanitizing the team equipment after use,” said Sims.

“We are trying to make it a memorable season for all of the girls, [but] especially our seniors,” said Assistant Coach Jennifer Payne, who is working with Head Coach Karen Sible. “We are doing spirit days throughout the season to try to make things fun and replace some of the events that are missing due to Covid-19. Some of our days include Twin Day, Superhero Day, and Wacky Hair/Sock Day,” added Payne.

The Lady Flucos have a lot on their plate going into the 2021 season. Due to the fact that Covid-19 is hindering so much this year, some athletes question whether or not the season is even worth it. “It’s totally still worth playing because I still get to have an amazing team to bond with and we’re still able to play our games like normal,” said Wagner.