FCHS Journalism

AP Seminar teacher Chris Zema believes research is a crucial skill for students to learn.

Passion For Research? Zema Has You Covered

January 22, 2021

What is the most challenging, exciting, and useful, real world class that you have taken?
For some students at FCHS, the answer to that question is Christopher Zema’s AP Seminar class, a class which is very research-oriented and features a lot of presentations, and before the COVID 19 pandemic hit, fun, educational field trips.

“Fluvanna has been offering this AP Seminar class for two years. In fact, it has only been offered by College Board for five years,” said Zema.

According to Zema, the class is about thinking “about real-world issues and trying to solve these issues through reliable research. This is seen through many moving parts, which includes group projects, public speaking, creating engaging multimedia presentations, and developing college-level research and argumentative skills.”

He added that “It also prepares you for a senior level class called AP Research where students have the opportunity to create a research experiment or project that could range from really anything of their choosing. I have one student creating a screen-play, another researching certain trends in animation films, and another that is involved in a treadmill/running physics experiment. Both courses are really cool and unique.”

This class may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he recommends it for students who like to go on educational field trips and don’t want to have to memorize anything, but like to “be creative with complex problems and turn them into clear arguments.”

Zema added that the students who would be interested in this class are those who are independent, want the freedom to pursue subjects they are passionate about, and want to be better prepared for the rigors of college where they will be expected to formulate, create, and present complex and research-grounded arguments.

Most students who take the class are upperclassmen. “It is an AP class, so it does involve a lot of hard work,” said Zema.

Grace Lintecum, a senior who is currently in AP Research, and who took AP Seminar last year, said she “enjoyed the amount of independence that the class allows you to have.” She added, “I would recommend this class to anyone. It teaches you many skills which are necessary for college and you are able to really explore topics that you are passionate about.”

Another student who has experienced this class is junior Jocelynne Hagan, who said, ”I really enjoy the freedom and creativity we get in the class. All of the papers we are assigned are on different topics that we choose and are passionate about.”

So if you are looking for a fun, challenging class, then Zema’s AP Seminar class may be a good fit for you. “I really would recommend it. I love this class. I think everyone should take it,” said Hagan.