Addicted to Dunkin?

April 11, 2022

Students nowadays are always walking into school with some Dunkin coffee in hand. Even I enjoy a coffee or energy drink in the morning to get a little boost of energy. But how much is too much?

I have noticed over the years that more and more students drink caffeinated drinks, almost like they are reliant on them to get through the day. “Sometimes I’ll make an iced coffee in the morning and then have a cup or two during the day, or I’ll randomly buy coffee or caffeinated sparkling water while I’m out running errands,” said senior Madison Fain.

From coffees to energy drinks, there are a wide variety of different caffeinated drinks to choose from. “My favorite caffeinated drink would be Monster because I feel like it’s the only drink that gives me energy and actually wakes me up,” said sophomore Jackeline Sanchez.

There are many different types of caffeinated drinks with different amounts of caffeine in them. For example, caffeinehustler.com notes that according to the United States Department of Agriculture, an average 8 oz. cup of coffee contains 95 mg. of caffeine. In comparison, a similarly-sized can of Red Bull contains only 77 mg. of caffeine. While the amount of caffeine in an 8 oz. Monster Energy drink is slightly less (92 mg. vs. 95 mg.) than in 8 oz. of coffee, that’s misleading, since Monster only comes in 16 oz. cans. So if you drink a complete Monster drink, you’re actually getting closer to 184 mg. of caffeine.

According to medlineplus.gov, some of the side effects of drinking caffeine may be insomnia, headaches, dizziness, and anxiety, to name just a few. “When I don’t get enough caffeine I get really tired, I fall asleep, and I get moody,” said Sanchez.

Then there are the side effects related to caffeine withdrawal. According to the Cleveland Clinic, side effects of being without caffeine may include headaches, tiredness, or difficulty concentrating. “If I try to go without coffee I start to feel very drowsy and often get a headache in the morning. It makes me so tired that I cannot concentrate on anything,” said junior Parker Watson.

Despite this, there seems to be no end to the number of students walking around with a cup of Dunkin in their hands every school morning. Many students have felt a lot of stress with their school work, especially after the previous years of virtual learning, claiming it seems like teachers are trying to make up for lost time. For students trying to stay on top of work, the caffeine boost of a tall cup of Dunkin can make the difference between turning in work on time or falling asleep. “When I have a project due or a lot of homework, I drink caffeine, and about an hour later, I’m rushing through everything pretty quickly,” said junior Elizabeth Newton.

You’ve probably heard the slogan “America runs on Dunkin.” Sounds like FCHS does too.