Will Soccer Fans Stand by Chelsea?

March 29, 2022

As soccer lovers should know, one of the best-known soccer clubs in the world, Chelsea, is in very big trouble right now. According to The Guardian, the club’s owner, Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, has “very good relations” with Russian leader (some say dictator) Vladimir Putin. As a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, sanctions levied against Russian oligarchs have caused the Premier League to disqualify Abramovich as a director at Chelsea, as well as freeze all of the club’s assets. Chelsea now has to rely on their cash reserves to pay all monthly fees.

The sanctions don’t affect the team itself, but it does affect who can attend the games. Chelsea is not allowed to sell any new tickets and the only people who can attend the games are season ticket holders. This new rule goes for home and away games. According to CentreDaily.com, “Chelsea has asked for its Football Association Cup game against Middlesbrough to be played without a crowd to protect the sporting integrity of the quarterfinal.” It is uncertain how long these new rules will last, but many suspect it won’t be for long.

Chelsea fans seem to have very strong opinions on the situation. During the March 13 Chelsea vs. Newcastle game, some fans were chanting Abramovich’s name, but were later told by the U.K. government to refrain from doing so. Other fans believe that the sanctions are harsh and unnecessary. “These sanctions have had minor and major effects on the club,” says FCHS teacher and self-proclaimed Chelsea “superfan” Mark Engel. “For instance, some players are looking to leave the club due to its lack of stability and sponsors leaving. It is harder to travel to away games because of the freeze on all assets, and now fans cannot buy merchandise or attend any games.”

Nevertheless, the team’s performance has not been affected by these sanctions. Chelsea has made it to the quarter final in the Football Association Cup, is in third place in the Premier League, and has made it to the quarter finals in the Champions League. As noted in a Sports Illustrated article, Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount said, “There’s a lot going on. As professionals we have to focus on our game. We have to let that try and speak for us.”

Chelsea’s head coach Thomas Tuchel has his own opinion on the situation. “I don’t know if, in these times, [the sanctions against Chelsea are] the most important discussion to have in Parliament,” he said.

The biggest question right now is when will Chelsea be sold? According to Sports Illustrated, “Chelsea will not be sold for the highest bid, but to prospective buyers who can show they will bring added value to the club ahead of the deadline for offers to purchase the club.” Many fans support Chelsea’s decision of taking its time finding the perfect owner.

Meanwhile, Abramovich has finally started to show some remorse for not speaking out about the war in Ukraine. According to Goal.com, “Abramovich promised to donate proceeds from the sale of the club to the victims of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.”

According to ESPN, Abramovich recently hired The Raine Group to help find a new buyer. The group is expected to identify two or three preferred bids to be put forward to the next stage. Those shortlisted will then be examined by senior figures at Chelsea to select the club’s new owner. According to Sky Sports, “The preferred bid for Chelsea will be presented to the government and the Premier League on April 18, meaning a change of ownership at the club could take place by the end of next month.”

Time will tell if the sale will have any affect whatsoever on the team’s performance…or fans’ expectations.