The Power of Being Thankful

December 1, 2021

Being thankful is one of the most inspiring things a person can feel. And yet, so many times we forget the things we have because we focus on the negative, or what we don’t have. The result can be anxiety, depression, and just generally not enjoying life.

But it doesn’t have to be that way if we focus on the power of being thankful. Here are just four things to focus on this holiday season to help you practice thankfulness.

Family

Personally, I have so much to be thankful for. I have a wonderful family. I have two parents that always put my needs above their own. They are some of the best people I know. I have a sister with whom I have become very close, and I can always depend on her to make me smile.

Then, I have a brother who is very similar to me. So I know when I’m having a hard time he is someone I can relate to. I have a wonderful grandmother who has been there for me since the second I was born. One aunt was the first to hold me after my parents, so our relationship is very close and she is amazing. I have so many more amazing family members and I give thanks for them all.

I understand that not every home life is ideal, and that can really hurt. Or, maybe your family drives you crazy. I can relate to that. I love my family, but we are all so similar that it can be insane sometimes.  One thing that I recommend doing is looking at the positives. If you look at the positives in life, then it might make the negative things just a little bit better. 

Friends

If you have trouble making friends, I can relate. I am incredibly shy, and it can be tough to talk to strangers, but I promise you in the long run, that friends are worth it. Words cannot describe how thankful I am for my best friend. We have known each other since kindergarten and she has always been by my side. We can joke and then be serious. She is my best friend, and she is truly a very special person.

I am also incredibly thankful for my boyfriend who I met seven months ago. He is so sweet, and I am very thankful for him too. He is so kind and has been there for me through everything.

To me, a friend is someone who is there for you when you are having a hard time, and they don’t just leave the second things get tough. A friend is someone who will see you through good times when you’re smiling and having the time of your life, as well as when you are crying and having a hard time and need a hug. 

Yes, friends aren’t perfect and sometimes they can let us down, but the fact is that we are perfect either and sometimes we let our friends down too. So focus on the good things your friends do, rather than on the negative ones.

Health

I am thankful for my health, my family’s health, and my friends’ health. I am so grateful for all of the nurses, doctors, firefighters, paramedics, and everyone in the medical field. Without them, this pandemic would have been 100 times worse.

I know that many people may not have good access to health care, or that their health may not be ideal. I have been in that boat before. Just know that it will hopefully get better and that even if we are hurting in one way, we have so many other aspects of our health which we can still be thankful for.    

School

Education is something that I believe American students take for granted; yeah, maybe it’s not the most exciting thing to do, but in a lot of other places, education is not an option and there is no school. For example, in Afghanistan, girls are generally not allowed to go to school anymore, and many would love to have access to what we take for granted.

So even if you are struggling in school, hate school, and complain about it–because I do all of that too at times–just remember that we get to have an education for free and that that is a privilege. I say “thank you” to all of the teachers who care and believe that I can do it. Thanks to them, I know what I want to do after I graduate from high school.  

Those are just a few things I am thankful for, but you may have far more–pets, a home, sports you love, music, etc. There are so many more things to be thankful for. Most of us get the option to have three or more meals a day and get to have clean drinking water and the great freedom of being free, something which is certainly not true of people in every country.

So this season, don’t take what you have for granted. Give thanks.