photo from Twitter

First to Die is a Heart-Breaking Hit

If you’re into books about heartbreak, friendships, learning to love in hopeless situations, and believing in the theory that faith brings some together, then you must read Adam Silvera’s The First to Die at The End.

The First to Die at The End is the sequel book to Silvera’s previous book, They Both Die at The End, a heart-breaking tale of two strangers, Mateo and Rufus, who get a call from a organization called Death-Cast, an organization which calls individual to inform them that they will die within the next 24 hours. You only get a call from Death-Cast if you sign up, which brings us to the plot of this book.

Now, in The First to Die at The End, main characters Orion and Valentino have signed up for Death-Cast, but they both can’t help but wonder if Death-Cast can really predict their death days. Orion, who has a serious heart condition, has waited what seems like years for someone to tell him that he’s going to die, and signed up for Death-Cast so he could know what’s coming.

Meanwhile, Valentino is restarting his life in New York and only registered for Death-Cast after his twin sister nearly died in a car accident. The two cross paths in Times Square and feel an immediate connection as if they were meant to meet. The question of whether the Death-Cast can really predict your death, and the passion of meeting someone you feel connected to, forms the conflict in this tale, especially when one of them gets the dreaded call from Death-Cast and the other doesn’t.

Neither Orion or Valentino know how the day is going to end; all they know is they want to spend it together. Neither boy is ready for the heart-breaking goodbye that is to come. Silvera really captures the feeling of grief and heartbreak with his powerful words.

I read his previous book, They Both Die At The End, and was immediately captivated by the story despite it being utterly soul-crushing. I had always hoped he’d come out with another book, so when he released The First To Die At The End, I knew I’d read it, ready for another tear-jerker. I dove into reading and once I started reading, I couldn’t put it down. Silvera really knows how to capture your full attention and keeps you hooked on his books.

This book is definitely a 10/10 in my book.