1917 gets a 10 out of 10

February 19, 2020

British war epic 1917 is easily one of the most brilliant movies I’ve ever seen, not only due to its gripping story line, but also due to the fact that its an amazing experience in cinematography. Filmed to look like one long take, it never breaks focus or tension, making every event memorable because there are no scene transitions.

The two main characters, Will and Tom, are British soldiers stationed on the front-line near the German trenches. As the movie opens, the pain have abruptly been given orders to warn British Colonel Mackenzie to not follow through with an attack as new intelligence suggests that the battalion will be massacred. Once Tom learns that his brother is part of the threatened battalion, he takes off on the mission, pulling Will behind him. 

Tom is eager to get to his brother as fast as possible, while Will is reluctant to go, often saying they should wait or complaining that he never wanted to leave in the first place. After various dangers hidden in the trenches, and an encounter with an unnamed German pilot, their quest takes a tragic turn. 

What follows is almost a nightmarish, horror-like sequence that is both gripping and visually vibrant. The cinematography of the glowing fire combined with the menacing soldiers made it the winner of Best Cinematography at the Oscars. 

While not too heavy on action, 1917 focuses on the emotional and environmental struggle that soldiers face as they struggle against impossible losses and the tragedy that is war. Be prepared to be shocked by some unexpected plot twists and tear-jerking, emotional angles, while enjoying truly amazing cinematography. I give this movie a 10 out of 10 stars.