Sophomore Amina Wilson displaying a trendy fall outfit. Photo courtesy of Madelyn Grubbs.

Falling for Trendy Fashion

October 5, 2017

Fall is here, and there is a lot to look forward to, including fall festivals, turkey, apple-picking, pumpkin lattes, and for those who love fashion, fall fashions.

Following is an overview of this fall’s popular accessories, colors, bottoms, shoes, and styles with an eye to creating that “in” fashion look while not falling afoul of the Fluvanna County High School dress code.

1. Accessories

Kendra Scott necklaces: These pendant-shaped necklaces seem to be everywhere at FCHS, and give a plain shirt a pop of color. You can choose silver or gold with a variety of colorful stones in prices ranging from $55 to $130.

This company also sells charity necklaces with most of the proceeds going to a chosen charity. A few months ago, they made a blue necklace in honor of former Fluvanna County Elementary School student Alyssa Divers who died of Osteosarcoma at age eight. (The money raised for this fundraiser went to the Alyssa House which provides free lodging for families that have a child that is being treated at UVA Cancer Center in Charlottesville.)

The necklaces are sold at the Kendra Scott Store in Charlottesville at the Stonefield Mall, as well as at kendrascott.com.

Pura Vida: These bracelets run $5-$15 and look great layered in multiples. Artisans handcraft these bracelets with soft string in Costa Rica, and a portion of the proceeds go to charities like Save the Sea Turtles and breast cancer groups. They are sold at Lou Lou at the Barracks Road shopping center in Charlottesville and puravidabracelets.com.

Lokai: These bracelets, which made a splash when they came out two years ago, continue to be popular thanks to new colors which are introduced every few months. Made from water from Mount Everest and mud from the Dead Sea, they represent the highest and lowest points in life. This fall, they are selling an $18 yellow version in support of National Pediatric Cancer Month. You can buy them at lokai.com or at local spots like Francesca’s and Lou Lou. Plus, 10% of the proceeds go back to charity.

Big earrings: These trendy earrings feature fluffy balls and pretty stringed fabric on them. You can find them at Lou Lou’s for $22-$38 depending on the style, although Walmart sells similar quality versions for just $4.

Fashion Belts: Make any plain dress pop with these beaded belts which are worn a few inches above your hips. They can be purchased at Lou Lou, LOFT, and Francesca’s for around $30.

Double-tiered necklace: These necklaces are popular because they give you the look of two necklaces, a choker and a long necklace, making them coordinate well with both high and low neck shirts. Prices vary depending on the beads used to make the necklace, but they are usually priced around $25. 

2.  Fall Colors

Saffron yellow: This color reminds the fashion world of Brown-Eyed Susan petals. Navy blue pairs well with this color at FCHS because it resembles the school colors.

Blush Pink: Often sold in pants and shirts, but also seen in accessories like purses and backpacks, this color looks great with dark, white, and black clothing.

Baby Blue: Think “contrast” with this popular color and pair it with dark blue, white, or black jeans.

3. Bottoms/Pants

Jean with fringe: Jeans with fringe fabrics on the bottom are making their way through stores, while jeans skirts have made a come back, but with a new twist. Embellishments may include zippers, buttons, pockets, rips, and fringe. These skirts hang about two inches from the knee cap, perfect for the dress code.

Lu La Roe: FCHS art teacher Michelle Coleman is just one local merchant who sells this unique clothing line out of her home. “It covers up things people might be embarrassed about [with] their body type. We sell leggings, dresses, skirts, and shirts…The best part about the leggings is they are so comfy and you can dress them up or down.”

4. Shoes

Fryes: These boots may be expensive, but they last forever due to the great quality leather. Prices vary from $348-$648 depending on the style and length of the boot. These boots are comfy and look great with all outfits. Many department stores sell these as well as thefryecompany.com.

Hunter boots: Another costly purchase, but these quality boots last and last, as well as being comfortable, stylish and perfect for cloudy days. The tall boots come right below your knee and they range from $150-$160, while the short boots range from $135-$145. Go to Belk, Saxon, and hunterboots.com to purchase them.

Booties: These short booties became a fashion trend last fall, but continue being in style, especially the ones with zippers and cut out holes.

Strappy heels: If the weather holds out, consider wearing these heels to help dress up your outfit. They usually have many straps made of cord that tie around your ankles.

Doc Martens: Whether in leather or a waterproof material, these boots are found in a variety of colors and come up a little past your ankle bone. FCHS Sophomore Jules Shepard calls them “very retro’ and notes that they “spunk up a good outfit.” You’ll find them at Journeys.

Thigh high boots: Whether worn with dresses or jeans, these boots go a little higher than your knee cap and make your legs look slim. They are usually made of felt, but can also be found in leather.

5. What’s Old is New

A number of “in” looks this fall are actually old looks which have come back in style.

Florals: Popular in the late 1920’s and now given a modern resurgence, the big-patterned floral look is appearing in skirts, shirts, dresses, and cardigans.

Camo print: Usually found primarily in hunting gear and Bass Pro Shops, this print has now made its way into the boutiques and department stores. One local spot you can find a lot of this look is at Francesca’s at Barracks Road Shopping Center.

Flare sleeves: A style which was popular with hippies in the 70’s, this revamped style is a good way to look classy and elegant while hiding any imperfections you don’t like about your arms.  

Velvet fabrics: Velvet is enjoying a comeback just in time for cooler temps, and gives you a vintage vibe while looking great with plain or dressy outfits. 

6. Still Popular

Cold shoulders: This style was seen last year, but it is back this fall and is seen throughout many stores in dresses and shirts which have holes cut out in the shoulders. Many Flucos agree that showing a little skin never hurt anyone…as long as you follow dress code…and this is a safe way to do so.

High & low shirts: These shirts are cut higher in the front and are very long in the back. They resemble a dress but are very popular because they are more casual. Pair them with ripped jeans and boots.

Long shirts: These shirts are perfect for leggings and they cover parts people may want hidden. They also pair well with double-tiered necklaces. “I like these shirts because you can dress them up or down and when you wear them with leggings, you’re following the dress code,” said FCHS Sophomore Amina Wilson.