Engineering in Motion

January 30, 2019

Claire+Kent+creating+a+%0Amodel+trebuchet+for+Trebuchet+Club.+Photo+courtesy+of+Fluco+Journalism.+

Clio Schurtz

Claire Kent creating a model trebuchet for Trebuchet Club. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism.

History and engineering may seem worlds apart. Typically, the subjects have no reason to overlap. Junior Claire Kent, however, has found a way to combine the two by starting her own club at Fluvanna County High School: the Trebuchet Club.

Kent is an aspiring engineer who just founded the Trebuchet Club this year. She explained that a trebuchet, traditionally, “is a medieval siege weapon, usually made of wood, that uses a counterweight to throw projectiles.” Kent’s club has a slightly different use in mind for their trebuchet, though.

“Ultimately, the goal is to build a full-sized trebuchet that we can launch large fruit with,” said Kent. The club is being sponsored by FCHS science teacher Craig Conner, who has agreed to let the students meet in his room and even use their final trebuchet to launch the fruit on his farm. The group of 12 students meets every other Tuesday that Beta does not meet during Fluco Focus in Conner’s room.

Right now, they’re still in the early stages of construction. “The paper models we’re making were Mr. Conner’s idea,” said Kent. She explained that going through the process of putting together a trebuchet on a smaller scale would help the club be more prepared to create their final product.

Kent hopes to not only gain engineering experience through the club, but to introduce and inspire others to work in the same field. She’s also created an opportunity for herself and others to learn more about history in the most hands-on way possible. “It’s an outlet to explore engineering from a historical perspective,” said Kent.

If you’re interested in joining Trebuchet Club, see Mr. Conner in room 4204.