Fluvanna Students Become Mouse Experts

December 14, 2018

+Senior+Rhett+Jones+%28right%29++and+sophomore+Kellie+Madison+%28left%29+celebrated+for+their+Microsoft+certification.+Photo+courtesy+of+FCHS+Journalism.

FCHS Journalism

Senior Rhett Jones (right) and sophomore Kellie Madison (left) celebrated for their Microsoft certification. Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism.

Fluvanna students can now find an outlet to showcase their computer expertise in Microsoft Office through specialized testing. The exams determine a candidate’s skills in using Microsoft Office programs including PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, and Excel.  

Students can take the tests in teacher Christine Kreitzman’s Web Technology class. Passing these exams make students more marketable for future employers, as they are globally recognized as evidence of mastery with new technologies. High school students at FCHS now need at least one Board of Education industry certification credit to graduate, and any of the tests can serve that purpose as they are all Board of Education certified.

For Senior Rhett Jones, and sophomore Kellie Madison, who both recently earned certifications as Microsoft Office Specialist Masters, the tests have given them credibility for college and future job applications. To achieve the level of Microsoft Office Specialist, students must pass one of the tests. Many students in Kreitzman’s class choose just to complete the PowerPoint exam. In order to gain the rank of Microsoft Office Expert, students must take and pass one of the more advanced Word Expert or Excel Expert tests.

Madison and Jones, however, have gone the extra mile by becoming Microsoft Office Specialist Masters, which is the highest honor, and requires passing four of the exams, including the two expert exams. In Madison’s opinion, the hardest part of the testing was “trying to figure out exactly what it was asking me to do.”

Getting the rank of Microsoft Office Specialists Master, or Mouse Expert, is a rare achievement among FCHS students. Kreitzman added that only one or two students in her classes earn the certification each year. “The PowerPoint test was the easiest, while the other tests were more difficult,” said Jones. Passing the harder Word and Excel exams are essential, however, to earning the highest delegation.

While Madison is unsure about what the future holds for her, Jones plans on going into engineering after high school, and believes Microsoft Office skills will help him to get a career in the field. “Many upper-level jobs make use of the advanced features in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in everyday tasks. A job applicant who is certified in these programs is far more likely to be selected for a potential position,” Jones said.

If you have an interest in getting certified in these skills, see Ms. Kreitzman in Room 4508, or visit the Counseling Office to set up an appointment with your Guidance Counselor.