School+Registrar+Lisa+Searcy+with+her+husband%2C+Wil%2C+and+her+dog%2C+Copper.+

Photo Courtesy of Lisa Searcy

School Registrar Lisa Searcy with her husband, Wil, and her dog, Copper.

Registrar Advises Students to “Believe in Yourself”

March 23, 2023

A face seen all day everyday at the main entrance of FCHS is School Registrar Lisa Searcy. Searcy went to Western Albemarle High School, where she graduated in 1991. After graduation, Searcy went to beauty school to be a hairdresser, but along the way she felt that it wasn’t really her calling, so she got into administration.

“It was pretty easy to adapt to the new work environment. I am a quick learner and basically taught myself pretty much everything there is to know,” she said.

Searcy said she chose this career path because of her strengths in office management.

“My inspirations are my family, especially my husband Wil,” she said. With all journeys, there are obstacles and one of the toughest parts of Searcy’s life was losing her four-year-old daughter Cara Leigh Searcy, who she said passed after a medical mistake. This was a tragedy Searcy had to struggle with and overcome, but she said she did so by keeping her head up.

Working at FCHS since 2009, Searcy says she has learned many things from her years of experience, including compassion and strength. As a registrar, she keeps student information updated on PowerSchool, runs transcripts,and many other things to keep the Counseling Department runing smoothly. Searcy says she wishes students knew and kept up with who their school counselors are, as well as being aware that the counselors are not just available to discuss personal problems, but also to guide them on how to keep up with classwork and plan for their future careers

Searcy describes herself as a very creative person, but she says her main hobby is crocheting which she started when she was age 13 and her grandmother taught her how to do a simple stitch. She loves to crochet animals, scarves, and blankets which she likes to sell through her Facebook page called Loli’s Yarn Time.

“I love to see smiles on peoples faces when they get their crochet creations I made. It makes me feel good to make others happy,” she said.

Searcy says she views herself as a loyal, passionate and a fun person. A quote she lives by is this: “Believe in yourself.”

Searcy thinks everyone should find something they are passionate about, something they love doing and is relaxing to them. She also encourages others to try new things. “You never know what creative thing you may stumble upon,” she said.