Would You Workaway?

April 18, 2018

Workaway is the holy grail for young adults who wish to travel the world. Whether you want to learn a language, take a gap year, immerse in another culture or simply get out and explore, this work abroad program can help you accomplish your goal.

With over 34,000 active hosts in 170 different countries, nowhere is off limits if you’re looking for an adventure. A membership to the program costs $29 per year, and as a member, the possibilities are endless. Workaway members immediately become a part of this unique travelling community. American hosts are typically in demand as many hosts are interested in learning English.

Workaway is not simply a cheap vacation; you will definitely work for the experience, but you do get to pick what you will do and you’ll have the benefit of experiencing a new culture while receiving free room and board. Members begin by creating a detailed profile that matches them with potential hosts throughout the globe. Once you choose a host and contact them, the journey begins.

The traveller is responsible for arranging and paying for transportation, but according to Workaway, you’ll receive free accommodation and food in exchange for your meaningful help and participation. Whether it be caring for children, helping with housework, building a barn or tending to farm animals, or manning the front desk at a hotel, there are volunteer opportunities for everyone. The experience should be mutually-beneficial.

Becoming fully immersed in another culture takes time. One of the biggest benefits of Workaway is the flexibility when it comes to that time. When communicating with potential hosts, it is important to specify how long you will be able to volunteer. Many hosts are pursuing long-term volunteers who are interested in staying for a year or more. That being said, there are plenty of short-term opportunities; for example, you can Workaway for as little as two weeks. But to experience the full extent of Workaway’s benefits, you may want to opt for a more long-term trip.

If you are interested in babysitting in Barbados, farming in Portugal, gardening in Costa Rica or teaching English in China, click here to begin your next adventure.