From Gym to Enchanted Forest

April 18, 2018

Between corsages, dresses, tuxedos, dinner reservations, boutonnieres, and photographs, Prom is a greatly anticipated event that usually enhances the high school experience. With graduation approaching, spring break passed and finals ahead, an occasion such as Prom provides students with something to look forward to before the dreaded exams set in.

This year’s prom will be held on Saturday, April 28, from 8 pm to midnight in the main gym.

Preparation for Prom began as soon as the doors open for a new school year. The junior class created a Prom committee, which is overseen this year by Aaron Grubbs. Club members are responsible for raising money, planning, and decorating for the dance. “So far, [prior to ticket sales] they have raised around $1500. They have done a great job and I am proud of them,” said Grubbs.

This year’s club raised funds through donations and by selling wristbands and parking spots. Assistant Principal Wanda Elliott helped tremendously with the parking fundraiser, which allowed seniors to purchase reserved parking spots in the senior lot. Other staff members have helped behind the scenes, including teachers Michael Morris and Lauren Struzik (Decoration Sponsors), Mandy Hoy and Rose Brogan (Food Sponsors), and Shannon Taylor (Ticket Sales Sponsor). Many staff members will also volunteer their time as chaperones to ensure that the dance itself goes smoothly.

For the first time since the move to the new school, Prom will be taking place in the gym rather than the cafeteria. “We wanted to change it up instead of doing the same thing over and over. The open space will give us a chance to do something different,” said prom committee member Josh Elliott ‘19.  Another change attendees will see this year is the DJ. Steve Knicks of Boozerboards, LLC is a new face who will be joining students on the dance floor.

Three themes were in the running this year, including “Paris,” “Under the Sea” and “Enchanted Forest,” which was ultimately selected as the theme. “The scenery will resemble a forest, with lots of white lights and mason-jar decorations,” said Savannah Quinn ‘19, another prom committee member.

In order to purchase a ticket and attend the event, students must be passing all but one class and have no outstanding fees. Any disciplinary issues that occur may prevent students from attending. Tickets will be sold April 18-25 during lunches for $25 per person.